| Welcome to my corner of the Tvtropes zoo. |
I have to share this space with a capra pyrenaica hispanica.
It's an ibex that is endemic to Spain.
Do not argue with the ibex.
Do not attempt to ask about its views on politics.
It is very loud and is not afraid to expel its nostrils at you.
In lieu of a traditional biographical section, I thought I'd use this space to share an inspirational story with you all.
Back in college, I had a friend who spent his time between semesters as a freelance children's entertainer. Usually, he would wind up amusing kids at summer camps, day cares and small community events. One day, however, he randomly got a call from the state government asking him if he would do a show at a juvenile detention center.
The show didn't start off well to say the least. First of all, he had a true captive audience. The kids were forced to be there, and initially determined not to only to not have fun, but also to make the experience as bad as possible for their entertainer. Secondly, not all of the audience members were in his usual, no older than 10 demographic. A handful of the kids were 13 and 14, and even more hostile than the rest. Also, he wasn't allowed to bring in any of his usual props because even in a juvenile detention ceter, they have strict contraband rules.
For lack of any better idea... he tried the Hokey Pokey.
At first, no one paid attention. Then, all of a sudden, one of the 13 year olds stepped forward, grinned, and started doing the dance. Left foot in, left foot out, shake it all about. He even got some of the other kids involved. While my friend still couldn't call it a good performance, he certainly ended on a high note and avoided getting lynched by a pack of hostile kids.
The truly amazing thing though, is that 13 year old who did the Hokey Pokey got my friend's contact info a year after that performance. For whatever reason, he just wanted to let him know that he was out of the detention center, his grades had improved and he had even started a summer job mowing lawns.
So, it's true what they say... you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around!
Exaggeration17A is a male troper in his late 20's who currently lives in Maryland, and is very glad to be out of New England, even if his wife isn't. His username is derived in part from being nicknamed after title 17-A of Maine state law. Sounds strange, but truth is sometimes Freakier Than Fiction
He also has a son, so he now knows more than he ever cared to about the Disney Channel
's morning block of kids' shows. He insists that he should get his son hooked on something more interesting, like Firefly
, but his wife thinks a show where a man gets kicked into a spaceship's running engine is not "age appropriate".
He may or may not work for The Government
. If he did, it's quite possible that he wouldn't be at liberty to confirm or deny that fact. It's also possible that he doesn't, and is just messing with everyone by propagating this rumor. What an asshole!
Pretend this is a clever heading to introduce media I like:
Remember, kids— to be a true badass
, you have to die first!
If you love Tali'Zorah, chances are this guy is your best friend, too.
You can do all kinds of crazy crap with action figures!
I'm a weird snake. Isn't that sad and depressing?
Pages I Made Significant Contributions to:
Got your nose!
- Fable II - Main quest storyline completed on 8/21/10!
- Desktop Dungeons - Pretty much a one-shot liveblog, given the nature of the game.
And now, the tropes section (feel free to add your own!):
- Catch Phrase: I took several college classes in which the professor had the students introduce themselves, one at a time. It was boring, so I decided to spice things up by saying, "hi, I'm Patrick, but my friends call me creepy." Every. Single. Time.
- Eating Lunch Alone: I hated high school. That is all.
- Gratuitous Spanish: When studying for Spanish exams in college, I would occasionally speak the language in my sleep (and confuse the hell out of my girlfriend while doing so).
- LARP: It's not lame when you have someone running it who takes it seriously. Replacing the duct taped weapons with latex foam props is a good start.
- M.I.B.: ...I just think it's a damn fine looking outfit.
- Pungeon Master: I'm coronating myself. You got a problem with that? Because I have more where the hokey pokey story came from.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: I didn't think this applied to me until recently, because my style of writing/speaking is simply derived from a subconscious desire to construct phrases that express my thoughts as precisely as possible, rather than being a device I employ simply to showcase my vocabulary. Then I re-read the trope page, and realized that it doesn't matter.
- The Spock: I make my decisions through analysis, not because of how I feel. I'll consider other people's feelings if they express them, but even then it's like adding a variable to the equation I'm working on.
Any fellow tropers who wish to leave friendly and/or snarky comments may feel free to do so in this space. Or, if you prefer not to feel free, that's fine. The state of New Hampshire may have issued an authoritarian ultimatum on that point, but I'm certainly not going to.
- I hereby vandalise this page in the name of the holy alkaloid!. Coffee? *holds out flask* - Bisected8
- I'm suspicious as to whether or not there's anything besides coffee in this flask. And, I'm totally going to drink it anyway.
- Godot Was Here.