Tropers: Earl of Sandvich
aka: Wartys Neryon
Hello, this is the Earl of Sandvich here! My name is Chris [DATA EXPUNGED]note I've been around this here wiki since the Spring of 2010, and most of the edits I do around here relate to the technical stuff, such as the relocation of wicks or namespacing old works pages to an appropriate medium. I post on the forums too, mostly around Forum Games and the threads for works of interest. As for my current status, I am bored (well, aren't we all). TV Tropes ruined my life, but at the same time it enhances it and has in fact introduced me to a few works. I am also a self-proclaimed Video Game systems index curator, making sure that everything is properly indexed, capitalized and namespaced. As of now, I am the Herald for the It Just Awes Me! subforum, so don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions about it. Feel free to Vandalize here. :3I also keep recurring troper castings for Death Battles, updating as it continues. Seasons 1 + 2 (or rather 1-50) have been cast, and I'm waiting out on casting a new set of 25 matches (maybe starting off after ten episodes have been confirmed before I start posting).
open/close all folders
Tidbits 'bout me
- Age: 25
- Birthday: November 5
- Current residence: Moscow, Idaho
- Majors: B.S. Geography (Class of December '12; GIS certificate), B.S. Political Science
- Minor: International Studies
- Interests: Gaming, surfing the internet, bicycling/walking, foreign cuisine, looking into international events/cultures
- Myers-Briggs personality: ENTP
- Orientation: Straight, though not ruling out the possibility of a bromance
- Politics: Libertarian, heavily on the civil regard
- Economic: Pro-Free market and Pro-Consumer; largely minarchist in this regard
- Social: Staunchly towards free speech/expression rights, Staunch secularist, LGBT ally, believes one has the right to choose what to do with his own body
- Foreign Policy: Largely pragmatic; Liberal with a few elements of Realist; intervention should be a last-resort option
- Religion: Agnosticnote
- I use American spelling though I prefer British spellings at some points (such as using "theatre" instead of "theater")
- Most of the time, I tend to not use the Oxford comma since I don't see much use in them (I can still use it if having no comma doesn't otherwise make it clear, and when it comes to separating entire quotes I would use it)
- I tend to leave differing grammatical structures alone, but tend to be anal about incorrect grammar unless there's a proper context for such.
- I believe that we're a glass half full. It's easy to forget that life in general has been better, but there's no denying there are still problems.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Steam Handle: Earl of Sandvich
Tropes I bestow upon myself
- Berserk Button: Okay, so I don't actually go berserk, but I get incredibly cross when I hear ahistorical bullshit that makes the social sciences look bad.
- Big Eater: I do have episodes like this. I do try to be a bit watchful about it though.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: I can be a bit of a doof and be a mite childish at times, but aside from making constructive edits on the wiki, I am a prospective geographer in real life. I also do take pride in ensuring that I do my job at a timely manner.
- Covert Pervert: Subverted. Although I'm not by any means a prude although being discreet, I don't really think about it this often. However, you can play a game of Cards Against Humanity to see what I'm capable of.
- Cuddle Bug: Both in the forums and in real life (when I get the chance), I do like to give hugs for people who'd like one.
- Must Have Caffeine: In the form of coffee and tea
- Tough Love: I may be affable, but I can tell you that when you're depressed or otherwise facing some emotional issues, I'll be blunt with you: seek a professional. (S)he'll help you out better than the internet will. I can be concerned about such cases, but anything beyond that comes across as trite and counterproductive
- Will Not Tell a Lie: I'll be as transparent as possible.
So what the hell do I do on this wiki anyways?
- Mainly namespace transferrals (of course... peoples, stop, I beg you, STOP referring to works without a namespace (or worse, referring ANY wick as "Main/"; I mean c'mon, it's such a useless artifact anyhow, more on that later), for our collective sakes please!)
- Occasionally fix the all-too-damn-common "its-it's confusion" (Take it away, Strong Bad!)
- When I spot a hottip around, I replace it with a [[note]] tool. I hope that I'll never EVER see a hottip again, the same way I'd look at ptitles.
- Alphabetizing entries, because it makes all kinds of sense and reduces clutter. If the case is that it's a work within a series, I'd sort the series examples in chronological order.
- I used to chime in at times at the Complete Monster cleanup, felt I gave all the input I could based upon the works I actually know, but I keep an eye out now and then.
- Removing artifacts (tropers' notes are not artifacts and I treat them all with respect, however there are features that no longer have use in the wiki (coloring, strikethroughs and text expansion), as well as those <<|Index|>> things with just as much use to a wiki page)
- Spacing (Paragraphs obviously are spaced, but between examples there is just no need, neither is there such need between folder markups and the examples themselves, although I do agree that there should be a space between folders)
- Dealing with redirects. And how? I say we nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Assuming of course they don't garner enough links at a given timetable.
Pages he created (not including namespace transferals)
- Approval of God (launched and started)
- Beary Friendly (sponsored and launched as part of split from Beary Funny)
- Hammered into the Ground (sponsored and launched)
- Image Source (not started or sponsored; launched)
- Oddball Doppelganger (sponsored and launched as part of a Repair Shop facelift of one page)
- Overshadowed by Controversy (Sponsored and launched, idea by Elle)
- The Aristocrats (in order to distinguish from the obscenely hilarious series of anti-jokes this documentary's about)
- Borderlands 2 (although I've only just got it in November 2012, I started the page earlier in the summer)
- Broken Age
- Broken Quest
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (gathered from tropes on the Series/ page. Hey, I just created a Buffy works page on TV Tropes! I feel special now! :P)
- Catacomb Snatch (as in the game developed for the Humble Bundle Mojam)
- The Cave
- Chex Quest (my first page contribution to the wiki, and that was long ago)
- Colin Mochrie Vs Jesus H Christ (considering I've done the page entirely from scratch and that it's not an ultra-stub, I'm proud of myself. This is also one of my starts on the internet.)
- The Co-Optional Podcast (a split)
- Dota 2 (another split)
- Dwarfs!? (this page needs more love)
- Both pages for the Half-Life gamesnote
- Hitler Rants
- Lemon Demon (split from the Neil Cicierega page as part of the Creator/ namespace relocation)
- Left 4 Dead 2 (Moving the description and tropes from the original game)
- Little Shop of Horrors (particularly to distinguish from the original musical)
- Ninja Sex Party (thank you Game Grumps!)
- One Minute Melee (split from Death Battle)
- Peasant's Quest
- Penn and Teller's Smoke and Mirrors
- Poker Night 2
- The Room: The Game
- Segata Sanshiro (split from the Hiroshi Fujioka page)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (since the film has its own page, why not?)
- Spy And Pyro (enough tropes to take from the Andrew Kepple creator page.)
- Thriller (started in an incorrect namespace though...)
- Thy Dungeonman
- And I also had brought up dividing the Funny.The Nostalgia Critic section into years given the sheer volume of that section... and created those pages (leading up to 2011)... umm... yay me for such a useless accomplishment? :P
- How the lock system is handled right now. I can name legitimate reasons for pages to be locked, but through the current system it takes one guy to demonstrate enough disregard to spoil it for everyone. I think a whitelist or a semi-lock (much like that of Wikipedia), while not perfect, would at least reduce incidents while making the experience more enjoyable and accessible to other tropers. It just helps everyone's bottom line since the "Locked Page Edit Requests" page tends to be a pretty slow effort.
- Bad grammar. While I won't be in-your-face about it, I can have slight Grammar Nazi tendencies. While I'm fairly perceptive and open, I can get anal about improper uses of grammar (capitalization, spelling, confusion between possessive and contraction (namely its/it's), etc).
- Word Cruft. We don't need to know for instance if an entry "qualifies" for the trope. If it does, it goddamn well does, so no need to emphasize the fact.
Stuff I Like
There's not a lot here right now, but it will be expanded in time
Anime and Manga
- Dr. Strangelove (what I consider to be one of the best comedies, if not one of the best all-around)
- The Gods Must Be Crazy
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Monty Python's Life of Brian
- Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? (possibly the best in my lifetime)
- Pan's Labyrinth
Live Action TV
Overall, the 60's and 70's is where it's at. The 80's has its great moments, particularly in metal and pop, but it's hard to beat the two decades.
- The Beatles
- Classic Heavy Metal(in fact, Brütal Legend converted me into something of a fan)
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Genesis (I don't care if it's Gabriel-era or Collins-era, I just love the music. Selling England by the Pound is one of my all-time favorites though)
- Miracle Of Sound
- They Might Be Giants
- Ace Attorney
- Age of Empires II
- Chrono Trigger
- Chrono Cross (shut up! It's still a real great game when taken on its own.)
- Deus Ex (WAY late to the party, but the game still holds up although graphics can be ugly by today's standards)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Fallout series
- Particularly Fallout: New Vegas!
- Fallout 3 isn't bad (in fact I really like the scenery), but the above just blows it out of the water in terms of story and technicality. (psst, here's a tip: seek out the "Fellout" mod. The game looks better without that greenish sky throughout.)
- The first two games in canon I also have, but haven't really gotten far into the first game quite yet.
- The Half-Life series
- Both Portal games
- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
- The Stanley Parable
- The Street Fighter series
- Super Mario Bros.
- Super Smash Bros.
- Team Fortress 2
- You Don't Know Jack (both old and new; got Vols. 1-4, the 2011 editionnote and the 2015 Jackbox Party Pack, all for PC; The Ride is my favorite)
- 'The Co-Optional Podcast'''
- Jesse Cox
- Death Battle
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged (TV Tropes as a Gateway Drug very much applies here)
- Game Grumps (and by extension the works of JonTron, Egoraptor and Ninja Sex Party)
- Homestar Runner (One of my first internet experiences!)
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged (same as DBZA)
- Neil Cicierega (Also one of my first internet experiences)
- The Order of the Stick (Just got into it. Loving it so far, and a real good example of TV Tropes as a Gateway Drug)
- SCP Foundation (same as the above)
- True Capitalist (particularly the good trolls; another example of TV Tropes as a Gateway Drug. 'Tis a shame it stopped, and with it the trolling went too)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
Hopeful IdeasOkay, so instead of placing it in the Unpublished Works section (and therefore artificially create wicks), I'll have proposed ideas listed here until they come to fruition enough to warrant their own page. At the moment, I have just one, dating back from late 2012.
A fan spinoff role-playing game (tabletop at the moment, since I would need to know programmers to make a game out of this), taking place around the Seattle area, going as far West as Olympia and as far east as Snoqualmie Pass. I'm hoping I can also utilize Vancouver, BC.
My Top Ten Suggestions for a Future Death Battle
- Buffy Summers vs. Ash Williams (easily my top; I see both as good matches for each other: speed vs. reflexes, and they've dealt with similarly strong foes)
- Scott Pilgrim vs. Travis Touchdown
- Hal Jordan vs. Richard Rider (another DC vs. Marvel matchup, go fig; either this or the Lanterns vs. the Nova Corps)
- Alucard vs. Dio Brando
- Duke Nukem vs. Serious Sam
- I-No vs. Eddie Riggs
- Judge Dredd vs. The Punisher
- Ratchet & Clank vs. Rocket and Groot
- Pit vs. Sora (though quantifying an RPG character can be difficult to pin down)
- Astro Boy vs. Mega Man
- #Raiden vs. Albert Wesker (two superhuman cyborgs of breakneck speed duking it out. I'd have loved to see this but since Raiden's up against Wolverine...)
- A matchup that involves Frieza. I initially thought Darkseid would be a good opponent, but I've seen suggestions that if Goku can't beat Superman, a cosmic deity such as Darkseid would be just too much (and besides, they did say they're not doing another Dragon Ball vs. DC fight IIRC). All I know is that Mewtwo would be a poor match for him, but I'd like to see Frieza in action somehow.
- Kirk vs. Picard (this age ol' question. I'd like to see it resolved, but we don't know if there's much in the way of combat demonstration to justify this matchup)
- Samus Aran vs. Master Chief (for a match of returning winners, which I think that given the research was already said and done, would be potentially suited for a One Minute Melee (and perhaps adding in some nods to Haloid))
- A Team Fortress 2 Battle Royale (Would be nice to see, but might be a bit of work; perhaps the trimming of non-confrontational classes (Engineer and all support classes) can help, reducing the combatants to the three offensive and two defensive classes)
- Ness/Lucas vs. Razputin (an honorary mention because I'd like to see any of them at this point, though if facing off against each other, what I see may suggest that Raz might not have that much of a chance; another matchup I'd think would be suited for a One Minute Melee)
- Deadpool vs. Lobo (Yeah, not going to happen, since neither can die and Deadpool already fought, but it would be an interesting sight to behold)
- Kratos vs. Pit (an honorary mention because Kratos already appeared; this is still a better match than Spawn though)
- Guts vs. Samurai Jack (honorary mention because Guts already appeared; it'll be an interesting concept to see what would give in a match between Guts' Berserker Armor and Jack's stamina)
- Afro Samurai vs. Samurai Jack (Perhaps a one minute melee. I thought about this a sec and figured that Jack would outclass Afro too much for there to be a well-matched battle)
- Dio Brando vs. Kenshiro (May be too much for Kenshiro, but the thought of "AAAAAAAATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA vs. MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA" is amusing to me)