Also/formerly known as Fiery Gun Hand
. As countless other tropers before me have done (and as just as many more will do likewise in the future), I had to set up a whole new profile thanks to a certain Scrappy Mechanic
on this site that shall remain nameless.
It might take me a bit to get the trope list and other miscellany finished, so feel free to check the older profile for more information.
Various works and creators I like (WARNING: Not complete and not meant to be definitive):
Tropes me and my life provide examples of:
- Berserk Button - I've got a keyboard's worth of these. Some of the more notable ones include Fox Noise Channel and its personalities and cohorts, people online who don't even bother to observe even the most basic of English grammar guidelines, people who insist on making small talk when it couldn't be more obvious that I'm not interested/in the mood/available (bonus anti-points for those who insist on pressing sensitive topics in the process), the song "Sweet Home Alabama" and anything that bears a strong enough similarity to it, Elmo, Kanye West (the man is a talent-deficient chode who, by all rights, should be the day-shift manager of a Starbucks in Orlando and not outselling Janelle MonŠe by a 70-to-1 margin), my family-given childhood nickname and implying or outright stating that I might (or do) have Asperger's. Those last two in particular are transgressions that I will not forgive or overlook from anyone and this is coming from somebody who's willing to let almost anything else go.
- Black Sheep - It doesn't help my case that I come from a predominantly conservative, largely Catholic extended family (at least on my mother's side; I know fuck-all about my dad's aside from a loose jumble of notes and errata) and not only rejected organized religion from an early age, but eventually grew up to become a liberal. I don't look like any of my siblings either.
- Bottle Fairy
- The Chew Toy
- Cuddle Bug - I can waver between this and Hates Being Touched depending on who's doing the touching. Romantic partners (or potential ones) are more than free to get close, strangers may or may not be given permission or clemency, relatives are pretty much limited to half-hugs.
- The Eeyore - I have moments like this.
- Everybody is Single - Averted hard. I'm the only person I know who isn't either in a relationship, just coming out of one or about to segue into one at any one (or all) time(s). Just as well, I guess. It isn't as if I don't have some shit of my own to attend to before jumping into anything serious. I owe all parties involved at least that much.
- Headphones Equal Isolation - Invoked like crazy, to the desired effect and then some. I don't want to be able to hear anyone talking to anyone else, see. If I can, either the volume's not up high enough or I need to switch over to something louder. And if other people can hear my music by dint of sound leakage (which doesn't seem to be an issue with these headphones), well, I am sharing the things that bring me joy with the world, so in effect it is an expression of altruism on my part, however subtle and unconventional.
- Jade-Colored Glasses
- Kuudere - Type 3, with traces of Tsundere and a tendency toward mood-swinging. Protip: I'm at my most amenable in bed with no one else around, so keep that in mind if you want to coax the dere side out of me.
- Limited Wardrobe - See the Troper Tales page. Or not. I've made some progress on averting this, though.
- Must Have Caffeine - Indubitably.
- Must Have Nicotine - Averted. Maybe it's because I'm only a once-in-a-blue-moon recreational smoker, but I don't feel all that different after a smoke and I have yet to experience anything resembling a nic fit.
- Never Live It Down - Oh, so many things. Of all the kids in my grade, no one has a longer and more colorful history of embarrassing moments and blatant paeans for attention and dumb laughs than I do. So it goes when your younger self was an obnoxious, poorly-behaved Bart Simpson-wannabe who saw school as a war between student and teacher and threw his mind, body, heart and soul into the struggle. Yeah, so I eventually outgrew most of the bullshit I used to pull, but I don't share a graduating class with many people who would give a horse that died in 1997 a proper burial as opposed to hanging it up to use as a pinata or a fucking mirrorball at some [insert meaningless holiday here] douchefest.
- Ninja Editor
- Not a Morning Person
- Obfuscating Stupidity - Frequently invoked as a child; none of it came to any good. A common factor behind the things I am still having thrown back in my face well into my 20s.
- Older than They Look - Averted nowadays, but all through high school I found myself on the receiving end of a lot of condescending "dude, I thought you were a freshman"-esque comments simply because I didn't have a great deal of facial hair.
- Sir Swearsalot
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism - I skew pretty hard toward the latter end of the spectrum. Shocker, I know. My writing tends to reflect this.
- Team Switzerland
- The One That Got Away - For me, this is a girl I met a couple years ago. If things had gone a little differently, I more likely than not would have asked her to marry me by now.
- Yank the Dog's Chain - I think you can see where I'm going with this. There's a lot of Status Quo Is God in my life, let's leave it at that. I spend too much time beating up on myself as it is.
- Throw the Dog a Bone - As of 1-15-2012, after (and partly in spite of) a 2011 that proceeded much the same way as 2010 did for me, only this time with more tragic overtones, I am pleased to report that things are looking up for me for once. For the first time in too long I'm moving forward professionally, I'm going into the new year in a better position than I was this time 12 months ago (with a rolling start to go on as well), I've met a couple of prospective/possible love interests...now I'm just waiting on someone to come in and pull the rug out from under me.
Subjective Tropes (To be filled in by other users)
Vandalism goes here: