- “Et on s'est tellemont assojetti, en la dernière, à certaines règles et à certains chiffres, qu'on en a fait un art confus et obscur, qui embarrasse l'esprit, qu lieu d'une science qui le cultive.” Translation - Rene Descartes, Discourse on Method*To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour - William Blake, Auguries of InnocenceTHE VOID: Nothing is know about desdendelle on file, so he can commit crimes without being tracked. - Tachyonwolf's assessment of me.
Describe desdendelle here:
Israeli Blue and Orange Morality Agnostic Grammar Nazi Not So Stoic Nanoha fan.
open/close all folders
- If the backlog* is to be believed, I was linked to This Very Wiki (from Battle for Wesnoth's forums, quite possibly from this post ) sometime in November 2010 and became Known shortly afterwards.
- I got that nickname from the rather insignificant Yu-Gi-Oh! card Des Dendle.
- It is usually shortened to 'desden', or 'des'. The culprits include GCR, Kiri Ame, Mr AHR, TYM, Fuse and practically everybody else.
- I am also called:
- I am:
- A soldier in the IDF's C4I Corps.
- A philosopher, sort of. I subscribe to Seneca's variant of the Stoic school of thought, with some Cartesian Epistemology and Kantian imperatives thrown in.
- An avid reader, both of silly things (that are Serious Business nonetheless) such as Science Fiction and Fantasy and of serious things such as poetry, philosophy, science and contemplative literature.
- A drinker of good tea. Especially Earl Grey.
- The Court Alchemist and Minister of Science to Depy's court.
- I had a tendency to vandalise people's pages with quotes; go ahead, sue me. I also had a tendency to sign said vandalisations with names of ships from The Culture. For example, the Irregular Apocalypse, the You'll Clean That Up Before You Leave, et cetera.
- I was shipped multiple times:
- Pieguy of the PPC shipped me and ShatteredSanity of the same for the 2012 annual PPC Board Shipfest.
- Himochi Is Awesome of the same shipped me and AnnaBee (of the same) for the same Shipfest. Most of the things she noted are quite true.
- Phobos of the same shipped me with Makari for the 2013 annual PPC Board Shipfest, also featuring Sergio Turbo, Tray-Gnome, Ivan the Not-so-Terrible, and doctorlit.
- Herr Wozzeck shipped me with doctorlit for the 2013 shipfest.
- hermione of vulcan shipped me, Neshomeh, and tea for the 2013 shipfest.
- Lily Winterwood shipped me with DawnFire for the 2014 shipfest.
- DawnFire shipped me with tea for the 2014 shipfest. Yes, tea, the beverage. I like tea that much.
- DawnFire also revenge-shipped with Lily Winterwood for the 2014 shipfest.
- I am the owner of the typo-created elven-feet pole.
- I write stuff for the PPC. I'm also a Permission Giver, apparently.
This Troper likes the following video games
- Age of Empires
- Battle for Wesnoth
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 & 3
- Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper. More challenging than Orochi.
- E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
- Fable: The Lost Chapters, sorta.
- Heroes 3 & 5
- Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2
- King's Quest: Mask of Eternity.
- Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II
- Myst and its Updated Re-release realMyst
- Neverwinter Nights
- Neverwinter Nights 2 (despite its stupid party AI)
- Quake II
- Samurai Warriors 2, which, aside from the occasional Camera Screw and its tendency to recycle stages, is better than Orochi or DW.
- Serious Sam — hurray for splitscreen on a PC, tons of Mooks to mow down with a rocket launcher, and hyooj maps!
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Torchlight II
- Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004 & Unreal Tournament III
- Warcraft 3
- Warriors Orochi, despite Nobutada Oda and Cao Hong's Artificial Stupidity.
This Troper likes the following books and/or series
- Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Excession, Look to Windward, Inversions, Matter, Use of Weapons and Surface Detail.
- The Lord of the Rings.
- Most of the books by Roger Zelazny; I consider him to be one of the best short (as in two-to-three hundred pages short) SF authors.
- The Bartimaeus Trilogy.
- RA Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen.
- Catullus's poems.
- Bashou's Oku no Hosomichi.
- Ovid's Metamorphoses.
- Tales of the Otori, except Harsh Cry of the Heron which I despise because it's really depressing.
- Snow Crash.
- His Dark Materials.
- Ed Greenwood's Dark Warrior Rising.
- Rob Perrin and Margaret Weis's Doom Brigade. Kang is awesome.
- The Corum series.
- I, Claudius.
- Most of what Tacitus wrote.
- Most of Meir Shalev's books.
This Troper likes the following TV shows / Animé, or movies
- Doctor Who
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S
- The Prisoner
- Thunderbirds are Go!
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Manga and 2009 animé, that is.
- Lucky Star
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vi Vid
- To Love-Ru
- To Love-Ru: Darkness
- Rosario + Vampire
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Ikki Tousen
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Sword Art Online
- Girls und Panzer
This Troper dislikes the following things
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma and its Subtropes: Rouge Angles of Satin, No Punctuation Period and How Do I Used Tense?.
- Obstructive Bureaucrats.
- Vandalism-only Troper pages, as TYM has observed.
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory (excessive symbolism counts, too).
- Albert Camus. His pretentiousness is appalling.
- The IDF's bureaucracy.
Tropes that that guy, desdendelle, thinks he's an example of
- Agnostic: of the 'weak agnostic atheist' variation. It basically means the following:
- I don't know whether God(s) exist, or not.
- I tend to thinknote that no such being exists.
- I think that it is possible to know whether God(s) exist, unless it's proven otherwise.
- Alignment Tropes: True Neutral with heavy shades of Lawful Good.
- Altum Videtur: Oh so very much. Also with English, since it isn't my mother tongue.
- Beleaguered Bureaucrat: My post is best described as 'moving little pieces of paper around'. And boy are there many of those.
- Bile Fascination: That's why I became PPCer.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Kind of given, since my moral code is an odd mix of Stoicism, Kantian imperatives, and Cartesian epistemology. Despite my Lawful Good tendencies.
- Bookworm: Though less so now, since I'm in the army. Not much time to read there.
- Brilliant but Lazy: I am gifted (135+ IQ), but incredibly lazy.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: I can't drink more than half a pint of Guinness, and Saké makes me tipsy.
- Captain Obvious: Obviously (and annoyingly, to my RL friends) enough.
- Catch Phrase:
- Cessation of Existence: I believe in this.
- Cloudcuckoolander: I kinda tend to miss the obvious sometimes.
- Communications Officer: Since I'm in the C4I Corps, it's kinda given.
- Crossplayer: As of August 25th, 2013, I have more female avatars here than I have male or ones of indeterminate gender. (The ratio is 65:43:11, in case you were wondering.)
- Deadpan Snarker: Who isn't?
- Desk Jockey: Yep. Due to a low profile.
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: Due to Bookwormness.
- Faux HTML Tags: Used often.
- Food Tropes:
- Glasses Pull: Subverted. I sometimes take my glasses off before (or after) I speak, but it has no meaning whatsoever.
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil: Sort of; I really can't understand what motivates people to be evil.
- Good Old Ways: Wearing a longcoat, being polite (which is rather rare here in Israel), reading a lot, writing poetry on metre, translating obscure poetry, dealing with philosophy...
- Grammar Nazi:
- All hail correct punctuation!
- I really hate tense shifts.
- Hates Every Organised Religion Equally: More or less.
- Honesty Is the Best Policy: I fully believe in this.
- Hype Aversion: Ponies.
- Iconic Item: A Tenth Doctor-ish Badass Longcoat, and that one picture in which I look like a Russian Mafia member.
- Laughter Tropes: I suffer from an Annoying Laugh, but at least it is evil. Or nightmarish sometimes. Or a Noblewoman's Laugh.
- Motor Mouth: Sometimes, especially if the subject is complicated and/or obscure.
- Movie-Making Mess: My Cinema movies all ended up as this, unfortunately. In the last one, one filming day was cancelled eleven times, six because of the rain and the rest because of the incompetence of the rest of the team.
- Ninja Editor: If I spot a typo in my posts, I usually go back and fix it as soon as I see it.
- Non-Action Guy: And how. Reading is better than doing stuff!
- Not a Morning Person: Earliest I'll wake up naturally is circa 1100 hours, and while I do have to wake up early sometimes because army, I still hate it.
- Power Trio: Apparently, I'm The Kirk to Bamack1's Spock and Fusionman's McCoy, though since Bamack disappeared, the Trio is pretty much defunct.
- Saw "Star Wars" Twenty-Seven Times: I have read The Lord of the Rings something close to ten times.
- Serial Tweaker: Sorta perfectionist.
- Songs of Solace: Changes with my mood.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Even more evident when I speak Hebrew.
- Talkative Loon: If the subject interests me.
- That Came Out Wrong: Quite a lot, unfortunately.
- The Enneagram: A Four. Apparently.
- The Philosopher: Cartesian Stoicism FTW!
- The Southpaw: Mostly.
- The Stoic: Literally.
- Not So Stoic: But not perfectly.
- The Quiet One: Until the ice breaks, that is, and sometimes even after that; if I have nothing to say I will shut up.
- TVTropes ruined my vocabulary.
- Type 2/type 3 Glasses Adjuster.
- Verbal Tic:
- my Signature Laugh.
desdendelle: Mim-mi-miim.desdendelle: Meep!
- I've also a variety of Tics IRL; most of them are a little too embarrassing to be listed here.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Something British, people assure me, and it's so thick that some people (not the same ones) can't really understand me if I speak English.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Another bad habit I'm trying to get rid of.
- Younger Than They Look: Take my word on it. People tend to think that I'm ten years older than my true age. Happens less and less though, since it's kinda hard to mistake the age of a soldier here in Israel.
Lazy man's box
(This is where I drop off stuff I need but am too lazy to find every time.)
Space for vandalism, messages etc
- "Uhhh, boss? There's this weird portal that's sucking the world up."
"Build a wall around it. It'll be fine." —Evi I Paladin, describing a certain Yu-Gi-Oh! card.
- "...I don't even mind this derail because it's so much better than the derails that could be going on right now." -Best Of, in the short-lived second Israeli politics thread.
- "... You're making me think about a parasitic, Raising Heart wielding Kyubey living inside people" -Sergio Turbo
- "The! The A and the It have been caught by Daleks!"
"No, we left her on Gallifrey..." -hS
- "Sergio Turbo/firemagic/Desdendelle.
A cuddly sandwich of animé and magical girls and bespectacled folks." -Lily Winterwood
- The British Plover that isn't British.
[17:27:48] Plummet: Stop being British damn you.
“There are stars above me, and the cherry trees blossom. The garden is still, and completely quiet save for my steps and the sound of my breathing. I walk through the garden till I reach a door; I open it and stare into the very edge of infinity.”