My name is Cherry, and I've been a sort of lurker. Only with my recent, rabid fandom of Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
have I begun adding examples in any sort of volume, mainly because said game is far too obscure for its greatness (short and quite linear though it may be). If anything Needs More Love
, it's Raidou. It is quite Just One More Level
for me, as there is little else I think about.
Mainly, I am working on a Fan Fic
, which you can read here.
Want to talk with me? (I check each of these every day)
- Check out the discussion page
- Email: email@example.com (not for IM)
- MSN IM: firstname.lastname@example.org (not for email)
- Leave me a PM at the forums
- Comment in my fanfic (see above), or send a PM to that Livejournal account
- I am kirsche474 on Neo Pets, so you can find me there, too.
- I am Cherry on Dragon Adopters as well. Even if you won't say anything to me, go meet Seiryuu and Suzaku, okay? They're lonely.
Note on Edits: If I don't explicitly state otherwise, it's a safe bet the edit dealt with Raidou
I'm a bit weird, in regards to my writing. With a few exceptions, I only publish works I have finished.
Edits (Not Counting Troper Tales)
- I don't even remember half the examples I've given. I remember I provided the response to Raidou's entry on Nice Hat.
- And now I've added clarifying responses on the Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army page, itself.
- And I remember I added the Raidou example for Implausible Fencing Powers (but not the one on the game's page, though the italics on "cannon fire" make me think maybe I drew some attention to it...? ...Nah, probably not.
- And the one that is (presumably still) under Gratuitous Japanese.
- And now he has an example in Exotic Detective, though he may belong elsewhere; I just haven't found it yet.
- And a couple of his normal friends have their own example in Badass Normal.
- And I just remembered I provided his example for The Stoic.
- I added the "dick" example under Have a Gay Old Time.
- *finds the Page History button* Which has been clarified by Shoebox. Thanks!
- Which is no longer there due to a reformatting, but the specific examples people contributed to it remain, yay.
- I have re-found Earworm and realized that Raidou example was mine, as well. *hums battle theme*
- And you must have known I'd gush about it sooner or later.
- I have (very) reluctantly added an example to Stupid Sacrifice. Part of me hopes I was wrong.
- I am honored to have both added the example to Going for the Big Scoop and kicked off that article's entire Video Game section. *is pleased with herself*
- Relatedly, added Tae's example to Fainting. I think it's a rather interesting flaw that a feminist trying to break stereotypes has a fainting problem. Poor thing. Of course, and I'm going out on a limb here, if it's a corset, it's her own damn fault. But I think she's smarter than that.
- Place Beyond Time now has a new entry on my favorite subject. Must be a new shortness record for me.
- I can't believe I added Tae to Going for the Big Scoop and Fainting but failed to notice she was absent from Intrepid Reporter? This has been fixed.
- The Raidou example in Player Headquarters was my addition when it was in YKTTW.
- And I added Kaya's instance of Missing Mom to the page.
- The Raidou example in Game Over Man was mine in YKTTW. And the Ooze one. And the Persona 3 one.
- As was the Raidou example in It's a Wonderful Failure. I'm proud of that one, for some reason.
- Another troper seems to have a different interpretation of events...but I'm not convinced. He's just so scared...
- How did it take me this long to realize Protagonist Without A Past existed? Ah, well. ...My Raidou examples are getting shorter lately. Guess I've gushed enough, huh?
- Have added Raidou's example to Red Light District.
- Yakuza has one, too.
- I've gushed some more, if you feel up to reading it.
- Do I need folders for these? Well, I've just added an example to Hot Springs Episode.
- The Raidou and Shin Megami Tensei I examples in Now, Where Was I Going Again? are mine.
- Yay for Spin Attack. Raidou most certainly has one.
- Breaking from Raidou for a second to add the Shin Megami Tensei I example in Controllable Helplessness.
- I'm on a roll today! New Raidou example in Non-Lethal K.O.!
- Raidou is a lovable Oddball in the Series.
- The Shin Megami Tensei example in Holy Hand Grenade was mine in YKTTW.
- As was the one in Kindhearted Cat Lover.
- And the one in Stab the Sky. (Er...what's the code for folders again? I think I'm gonna need one.)
- I added Raidou's example to Never Trust a Title.
- The Raidou one was mine in YKTTW in Tattooed Crook. Though Satake is not a crook.
- Added a Raidou example to Present Day Past.
- The Shin Megami Tensei II example in Our Founder was mine in YKTTW.
- The Raidou example in Contemplative Boss was mine in YKTTW, as well.
- The Chrono Cross example in Joined Your Party was mine in YKTTW.
- Added Nakamura to Old Retainer.
- Added Raidou example to The Ghost.
- The Raidou example in Dramatic Disappearing Display was mine, minus the "letterboxing". I'd forgotten they were called that. So, thanks to that troper!
- The Shin Megami Tensei generic example in Demon Slayer was mine in YKTTW.
- Huh, what happened to the page?
- As were the Shin Megami Tensei I and Silent Hill examples in No Canon for the Wicked.
- As was the Shin Megami Tensei I example in Alternate World Map.
- Added Gouto to Older Sidekick. I mean, he could be the guy's great-great-great (etc.) grandfather, depending on how direct you think the Fourteenth's lineage is and which Kuzunoha he can trace to.
- Ichimokuren is among his fellow examples of Faceless Eye.
- Satake and the Kantou Haguro-gumi have an example due to my YKTTW contribution in Neighbourhood Friendly Gangsters. (And I moved them to their proper section, too.)
- The Raidou and SMT 1 examples in Sword and Gun were mine in YKTTW.
- I have just added a Shin Megami Tensei I example to Sunken City.
- Shin Megami Tensei I and Shin Megami Tensei II examples added to Holier Than Thou.
- Raidou has some annoyingly cry-worthy Foreshadowing.
(Items marked * were my idea to begin with, unmarked means I launched an Up for Grabs
Random Thoughts on Games I Play
Made of Win
- Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army
- Ever watch the non-interactible NPCs? If you think Raidou's summoning is a bit flashy, you're not alone. The noninteractibles will turn their heads to watch Raidou as he summons - he is drawing attention to himself! Funny, isn't it?
- The Kuzunoha elder spirits (or whatever they are) are jerks. When Raidou collapses from his injuries (read: hits zero HP), they transport him to their shrine, heal his wounds, wait for him to awaken, bash him for "slandering the name", and then, having sufficiently chewed him out, they kill him! When they might have merely left him to die in the original situation he fainted in. Jerk Ass spirits.
- And now, having read about the instruction manual, I feel gypped for not having it (used game, no manual). Damnit.
- Yo, I don't wanna intrude but have you looked online for manual scans?
- Yep. Stopped when Google turned up with this very page.
- When you have to take Tae to Kasumidai, if you go to Fukagawa-Cho instead and talk to her, she'll say something like, "What? You want to take a bath before the interview? Okay...I'll be waiting out here. (new text box) ...What? No, I'm not going in there with you. Raidou, what are you thinking?" ...I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't have used five ox bezoars in that last boss battle... XD (To put it in context: In the ox bezoar item description it says it is also an aphrodisiac.) Also, Tae: I can take a stab at what he's thinking if you want. :)
- If you talk to Satake at some point in Episode 5, he will mention that Narumi's gun is an automatic and standard-issue in the German military. Given that the setting is 1931... Narumi is most likely using this gun. First one on the page. Like they gave you enough information to find it on purpose, almost... Still, pretty cool.
- As I said in Gushing About Shows You Like, the Daidouji butler, Nakamura, says at one point that he "must have fainted from overwork" and he "would be ashamed to face the spirits of the Daidouji ancestors", which jars rather lightheartedly yet painfully with the conditions of game over.) Yes, I copied and pasted that just now. If it weren't for the Fourth Wall, I'd think Raidou would be pissed/scared at that. I know my jaw tightened...
- In Episode 2, after gaining access to the Red Light District (no, you can't do anything there, though it's implied Raidou could if he wanted) the "snooty modern woman" in Ginza-Cho (she's on the overpass) will say when talked to (to the best of my memory): "You're looking for an escort? You're barking up the wrong tree. No mere harlot could hold a candle to me!" At first I thought Raidou, what the hell did you SAY?, but now that I've thought about it, she completely missed his insult - he basically called her a whore! Priceless.
- Found another Stealth Insult, this one easier to catch. At one point (I forgot which episode, one of the middle ones), there will be an NPC labeled "air headed woman" outside Ryugu. She has two lines. The first is:"If the waiter at a high-class restaurant knows you by name, you must be part of the social elite. (new text box) No, I don't suppose it has any effect on looks or personality, why do you ask?" I don't remember the second in its entirety, but I do remember it ended with, "Why do you keep asking about looks and personality? What's eating you?" Haha... Go, Raidou!
- "Raidou the Exth" blows his cover pretty bad if you go to the Red Light District at the right time. (S)he'll say something like (don't remember exact phrasing) "Meetings here are cherished, because the two are not likely to meet again. Tension can only build when one is forced to live with the same partner. ..." I forget what else (s)he said, but that's pretty damn telling - Obviously, his research was insufficient, because girls of that time, particularly (one would think) from a high social standing, do not think in those terms! It's a jarringly-masculine statement. Oops. Plus, (s)he doesn't seem to react normally within the Red Light District at all - Tae's response is closer to what you'd expect. More damning is the Fukagawa-Cho dialogue from the switch before that. "The year is...Taisho...20, correct? This place hasn't changed much since the Edo period, so my sense of time gets... Anyway..." At least he caught himself there. It's a shame Raidou isn't allowed to respond to any of this.
- I'm not sure how I missed this, but Gouto says, just before the end of Ep. 11, "You've done my name proud...". So, wait. Gouto is actually... The original Raidou Kuzunoha, reincarnated or something?
- Yep, and it's right out there in the open, on the official Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon characters page, so it no longer warrants a spoiler. I can get rid of those now. Cool that I caught that line - it was a little easy to miss, considering I only got it on my second time through.
- Holy crap, I just beat Raiho at level 9. Alp and I jumped up four levels! Woo, it's my best achievement in this game ever!
- SPOILER ALERT! STOP READING IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THROUGH THE GAME! Let's try to figure out which number our antagonist is. Okay, for starters, we have 1200 years and 13 successors (we'll ignore the first for now; sorry, Gouto.) That's roughly one Raidou per century with one in every 13 dying a bit young. Okay, let's assume by 20XX they mean the highest possible bracket, the 2090s. With that set up, let's say the 14th dies of old age in the 1980s (putting him in his seventies, pretty reasonable). The 15th takes the name...just in time for Shin Megami Tensei I's The End of the World as We Know It. Boom, he dies. World War III occurs over the next two decades or so, and that's a pretty good time for, say two Raidous to die easily while still being heroic enough to keep their name (if the game over sequence is to be taken into account). So that's 16th and 17th. The 18th ascends in the 2020s...and gets killed in the flood. So now we're at the 19th with 70 decades to go. Let's say the 19th lives to the 2080s (assuming he took the name at around age 20, give or take, that'd put him in his seventies, too). The 20th takes the name at around age 20, and lives for ten years...30-ish is a good age for a Templar Knight, isn't it? So, being somewhat lenient on all sides, a good number for our antagonist is the 20th. ...Phew.
- Deuxhero: Word of God gives hir as the 40th. And when is 92 average (not even counting their time before Raidou, even if they all got the title at 17 that's an average of 109) a "bit young"?
- Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
- Why is the Herald of Yatagarasu suddenly referring to herself in the plural? It's quite creepy.
- The game over sequence is the same. The exact same! What a Jerk Ass tree! So going beyond space and time is not enough to secure his name after death!?
- I'm loving the Evil-order. I want a Yomi-kugutsu...
- At some point, Yosuke says the phrase "cutie pie", at which point Chie responds, "'Cutie pie'? What are you, 80?" Because I am freaking obsessed with Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: The game takes place in 2011. 2011 - 80 = 1931, which is the year Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army takes place. Too far?
- I love how Parvati has Dodge Elec when she isn't affiliated with that element at all. ...At least, not in this game. I can't help but think that's a Shout-Out...
- Look, a ShoutOut by name!◊ Sorry for the quality - I actually took a pic of the TV screen.
- And that design on the back of Chie's jacket is the Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army memory card icon!
- Okay, an actual thought on the game, rather than its ShoutOuts. The battle with Shadow Kanji seems to me like a Take That at slash authors' tendency for Character Derailment. Poisoning the males (slowly killing their character, I guess), and, most tellingly, enraging the females (this is what tipped me off). Also, though a valid point in-game, is the excessive angst (or wangst) over not being accepted.
- And the comic "Lovely Witch Detective" is clearly a rather snarky Take That at Twilight. I mean, come on! "A ploddingly-written romantic comedy about a girl on her first day of school in her new town. Vampires are involved. The content of this book was almost physically painful for you to read." If anyone can think of something else that might be, feel free to bring it up.
- Shin Megami Tensei I
- Um... where the hell is the UN!?
Thanks for visiting, sure to have more soon.
And chances are, if it's about Raidou, it was probably me. ^_^ Have a great day and keep an eye out for rogue demons.
Please do not tap