Tropes I Embody
Tropes that apply to Cailleach include:
- Absent-Minded Professor: Things Cail can do: Teach applied mathematics, speak multiple languages, analyze metaphors and devices TV shows to absurd depths. Things Cail can't do: Remember appointments, remember to check the weather, remember to look out the window to see if it's already raining
- Asperger's Syndrome: Like a lot of people here, it seems
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: Hopes to be achieving this with her look. She's admittedly pretty much a female dandy.
- The B Grade: Cail doesn't get B's. Cail. Does Not. Get B's. Cail does not get B's.
- Berserk Button: Using statistics incorrectly. Your sample size is small, your standard deviation high, your graph manipulative, and conclusion full of fallacies. Also misuse of the word "prove"
- Anything along the lines of the phrase, "I'm an artist, so obviously I hate math," which she hears way too often as a mathematician (who also happens to be an artist, and finds the two incredibly interrelated) Like she gets it, you're narrow-minded, just don't bother her with it.
- Bi the Way
- Big Applesauce: Cail's place of residence
- New York Is Only Manhattan does not apply. I don't live in a skyscraper, I live in Queens
- Blind Without 'Em: Cail had to go to school once after her glasses broke. Someone had to save her from walking onto the subway tracks.
- Cloudcuckoolander: And how. She's gone entire semesters without learning any of her classmates' names, because she was so deep within her imagination all the time she never even took notice of the other people in the room. She could name about three people at her entire university
- Bookworm: Cail has been reading at an approximate book-a-week pace since she was five.
- The Cheerleader: Was one in high school. Besides the name, Cail does not fit any part of the trope. Neither did any of her teammates. This trope isn't really Truth in Television
- Constantly Curious: Written from the top floor of her university's tallest building, because she wanted to see what was up there. (I ask people a ton of questions on the forums because I just want to know more about everything. If I ever make you irritated or uncomfortable, you can ask me to stop and I will comply happily. I never want to pry where I'm not invited.)
- Cranky Landlord: Has one. Many escapades about her in the forums
- Deliberately Bad Example: She lives her life to teach others
- Ditzy Genius: Is "profoundly gifted", and moderately to severely good at all things academic, but was legitimately confused when asked to dial an extension into a phone. She also knows several programming languages, but don't ask her to format anything on this site correctly the first time
- Elegant Classical Musician: Cail is a classically trained opera and choral singer. She also likes singing jazz, blues, and early pop standards (from the 20's to the 60's), and musical theater. She has sung professionally in the past, including Carnegie Hall in 2013. She also plays piano and some euphonium.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: Cail will volunteer for anything, even things she's not obligated or even expected to do (like asking her dean for permission to attend a seminar meant only for teachers. They let her go. No other student had ever asked.)
- The Fashionista: Fashion is one of Cail's favorite art forms. Also, she is fabulous. Her page image self-portraits always feature an outfit she owns in real life.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies: Her interests shift from minute to minute, but to everything she brings her enthusiasm
- Fun with Acronyms / Awesome Mc Coolname: Cail's real life initials spell MAD. She is very pleased with her parents for that one, as it suits her desired persona
- Girlish Pigtails: A frequent hairstyle of Cail's, tied with ribbons.
- Go-Getter Girl: Has been described as a "G-Rated Tracy Flick." Still trying to figure out whether she's okay with this comparison.
- Good with Numbers: She has, quite frankly, a love affair with mathematics
- Grade Skipper: Second grade, to be precise. (But after she was forced to take a gap year for health reasons between high school and college, it evened out)
- Gratuitous French: Parce que tout semble plus sexy! (Cail has a lot of connections to the Canadian region of Acadia, and speaks that dialect. The dialect is a small bit different from Standard French)
- Gratuitous Italian: Alcune espressioni suono giusto in italiano! -hand gesture- (Cail is known for being embarrassingly Italian American on the forums)
- Ms. Imagination: She lives constantly in her vivid imaginary world, making up story and story. Including right now.
- Myers–Briggs: INFJ
- NaNoWriMo: If you participate in this, you are to become her writing buddy. This is mandatory
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Is a member of one on the weekends
- Obliviously Evil: She's going to put that one down as a "Maybe"
- Outdoorsy Gal: If you tie the wrong knots or insist on wasting room in your pack with beer "for the campfire" (looking at you, high school friends), she will leave you stranded. She spent 12 summers at Girl Scout camp. She can serenade you with campfire songs for 72 hours straight.
- The Plan: Has one
- Quirky Curls: Fittingly so
- Raised Catholic: Being Italian American, Roman Catholicism is deeply ingrained in every aspect of her family and culture. She is well-versed on the Catechism, despite being an agnostic now.
- Seeker Archetype: Her entire shtick. She has a pathological obsession with knowledge.
- Serious Business: Cooking. The culinary arts are to be taken SERIOUSLY. You can't just use pre-made sauce from a can and call it cooking, and no don't just stick it in a microwave what are you doing... (Cail apologizes for any food-related irritation she causes)
- Smarter Than You Look: She gets this very frequently, and gets more and more offended each time.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Only with preteen girl internet slang instead of swearing. It's, like, totes a habit of hers
- Speech Impediment: Pronounces some words...rather uniquely.
- Supreme Chef: Cail is good at cooking. In her family, there is no other option
- Twin Tropes: Cail has a twin sister and finds this index to be amusing
- The Workaholic: She prefers "Type-A Badass who gets Shit Done," but yeah.
- You Fail History Forever (I mean it. Get out of my classroom): Received this grade on her report card once in high school
Works I Enjoy
Cail promises she'll actually make this section eventually.
Tropes I Extol
Cail's favorite tropes include:
- Added Alliterative Appeal
- Crazy Awesome: Achieving this trope is Cail's ultimate goal in life
- Her other ultimate goal in life is to be A Lady And A Scholar
- Cail can't stand Insufferable Geniuses. Using your intelligence as an excuse to be mean to people, because you're somehow "better" than them. The whole smart thing? You're doing it wrong. Intelligence is about discovering and creating new things, not bragging rights.
- As a theater nerd, she always appreciates some Milking the Giant Cow
- As well as some good Narm Charm
- Odd Friendship: True to her idealistic nature, unlikely people becoming friends makes her smile a whole lot.
- Post-Modern Magik: Extremely fun to work with. Cail loves working through potential "What if?" questions involving mixing magic, modern day technology, and logic
- Villain Song: Objectively the best songs in anything.
Things I Enjoy
Cail is open to an impromptu conversation on any of these topics:
- Visual art
- Classical music
- Musical theater
- Disability rights/advocacy
Tropes I've Established
Cail is responsible for the creation of the following tropes:
- "Inescapable" Prison Easily Escaped: When a prison has been hyped up as "inescapable," with no recorded escapes in its 1,000+ years of operation, yet the hero is easily able to escape within days if not minutes. The frequency that this occurs in fiction is statistically ridiculous