I am Antonio Calavera
, Filipino TV Tropes addict
and English teacher extraordinaire! I've been lurking on the wiki for years and have been immensely pleased with its growth
and friendly, sensible attitude towards fiction and its parallels in Real Life
I am a single
lecturer of English literature
at a major Jesuit university
in Quezon City. I have been a licensed pilot since my college years and am a great fan of graphic novels
and Science Fiction
. I play more Video Games
than are good for me, fly my family's souped-up Cessna 152
on weekends whenever possible, and procrastinate
way too much when checking my students' papers.
I also enjoy Scuba diving, visiting Dad in Bangkok, and pestering my students, whom I love dearly despite their perpetual grammar problems.
In addition to providing hours of entertainment, TV Tropes
has greatly influenced
me in the way I think about literature and media, and my students have reaped the benefits. After years of lurking, I've decided to get known and become a Contributor
so that I can give something back.
open/close all folders
Tropes about Antonio Calavera
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: Waistcoat: check. Pocketwatch: check. Fedora: check.
- Badass Bookworm: See below, but add a major in English Literature, a minor in Philosophy, and an in-progress master's degree in Literary and Cultural Studies.
- Badass Teacher: CAAP licensed private pilot, PADI certified Scuba diver, yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do, and can bulls-eye a target with an M1911A1 at ten meters - ambidextrously.
- Class Representative: Was one back in college for my Literature block. They called me the block head.
- Cool Teacher: Aspires to be one. Is one on his best days.
- Cool Shades: Helps with the above.
- The Dumbledore: Not nearly old enough to be one, but someday...
- Evil Laugh: Used whenever a student inquires about upcoming exams.
- Geek: Egregiously
- Hot Teacher: Allegedly, though my students probably say that so I'll raise their grades...
- Info Dump: Insists that lecture is not obsolete, just not done well enough.
- Minored In Ass Kicking: Fortunately, the combat skills listed above have never had to be used.
- Most Tropers Are Young Nerds: Guilty as charged.
- Mr. Exposition: Tends to teach from memory.
- Mysterious Teachers Lounge: Averted. My cubicle is crammed to the gills with books, guarded by a plush carabao, and is the site of essay consultations.
- Nice Hat: Defining appearance trope; wears a certified replica of Indiana Jones' fedora
- Noli Me Tangere: Undergraduate thesis topic
- Politically Motivated Teacher: I expect my students to make the Philippines a better place someday. Fight the Powah!
- Pride: Achilles' Heel. Just look at this trope list!
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Can be negotiated with regarding most class requirements. Compensates by giving ridiculously hard exams.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: Checking papers is the worst part of this job...
- Trickster Mentor: Not above mindgaming students during writing assignments
- The Smart Guy: IQ in the low genius category
- Wacky College: Natural habitat