The TV show:
- Bad Export for You: Inverted - the American DVDs suffer from terrible Clumsy Copyright Censorship, with missing music and scenes, but the full version can be found in some foreign releases. On the German DVD sets the full original audio is included even in the English tracks on some episodes, although other episodes only have correct music on the German audio track.
- California Doubling: Though supposedly set in the U.S., the fact that 21 Jump Street is shot in Canada is made by the fact that the extras/bit parts were hired locally and thus do decidedly non-US things like say "grade 3" instead of "3rd grade" and write graffiti with words ending in "-our" instead of "-or".
- The only slightly blurred "Beautiful British Columbia" license plates are also a dead giveaway. And the bus route prominently displayed in the credits: Hastings.
- When a license plate is clearly visible, it says "Beautiful Evergreen State", which is the Washington state nickname, but with the British Columbia plate design.
- Dawson Casting: By the cops inside the show.
- As well as the students, especially in later seasons.
- You Look Familiar: Two prominent examples are Jason Priestly and Lochlyn (Rick) Munro, who played different characters in multiple episodes.
- Actor Allusion:
- Ice Cube's verse from "Straight Outta Compton" plays as he talks to Jenko and Schmidt.
- When planning for their party, Schmidt and Jenko jokingly wonder how they are going to get alcohol, since neither one has a fake ID, a reference to Super Bad. Jonah Hill and Dave Franco were also high school classmates in that film too.
- When Schmidt and Jenko are being briefed on HFS, two usernames can be seen as 'Chanchan' and 'Brielar'.
- A partial example. Molly is starring in a production of Peter Pan. Brie Larson had auditioned to play Wendy in the 2003 version.
- Dawson Casting: Although the movie parodies this with Jonah Hill (29) and Channing Tatum (32) trying to pass for high school students, it's still played straight with the actors playing the actual high school students. Brie Larson was 22 and Dave Franco was 27, both playing 18-year-olds.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Jonah Hill actually lost forty pounds for the movie, in order to be able to do some of the more physically demanding stunts.
- Playing Against Type:
- The directors of these films are best known for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The LEGO Movie. Lampshaded by a TV spot for The LEGO Movie, which played up that it was from the directors of 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, then adding, "Neither of which have anything to do with this movie."
- At the time Channing Tatum was pretty solidly typecast as an action star or romantic lead. This marked his first big comedy and, along with Magic Mike, showed that he had quite a flair for it.
- Too Soon: In the audio commentary, it is mentioned that the line "Doing cocaine with Willie Nelson's horse" was originally "Doing cocaine with Whitney Houston's niece." This was changed because of Houston's death shortly before the editing of the movie was supposed to be finished, and at the last minute they had to call the actor to come in and dub over a new line.
- What Could Have Been: Emma Stone was considered for Molly, but she was too busy filming The Amazing Spider-Man.
- Truth in Television: Whether or not it was deliberately inspired by the show, using young-looking police officers undercover as high school students has actually been done. Read about the real-life example of Alex Salinas here.