Trivia: 21 Jump Street
The TV show:
- Bad Export for You: Inverted - the American DVDs suffer from terrible Clumsy Copyright Censorship, with missing music and scenes, but the full version can be found in some foreign releases. On the German DVD sets the full original audio is included even in the English tracks on some episodes, although other episodes only have correct music on the German audio track.
- Dawson Casting: By the cops inside the show.
- As well as the students, especially in later seasons.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Many actors appeared on the TV series who became famous later, including Brad Pitt, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Peri Gilpin, Jason Priestley, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Bridget Fonda, and more.
- Actor Allusion: Ice Cube's verse from "Straight Outta Compton" plays as he talks to Jenko and Schmidt.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Short of a Production Posse, the film includes Brie Larson and Johnny Simmons in the cast and Michael Bacall as the scriptwriter; all three were involved with Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
- Deputy Chief Ron Swanson transfers them to Jump Street, Dr. Spaceman moonlights as a high school drama instructor, and Erin Hannon became an AP Chemistry teacher after leaving Dunder Mifflin. Completing the NBC Thursday Comedy cameo fourfecta, Rachel was a hipster cool kid in high school before she got to Greendale.
- Nick Miller shows up briefly as the school principal to reprimand Schmidt and Jenko on their first day of school.
- Fugazi's father in Real Life also worked undercover.
- Ice Cube as Dickson.
- Playing Against Type: The directors of these films are best known for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The LEGO Movie. Lampshaded by a TV spot for The LEGO Movie, which played up that it was from the directors of 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, then adding, "Neither of which have anything to do with this movie."
- Too Soon: In the audio commentary, it is mentioned that the line "Doing cocaine with Willie Nelson's horse" was originally "Doing cocaine with Whitney Houston's niece." This was changed because of Houston's death shortly before the editing of the movie was supposed to be finished, and at the last minute they had to call the actor to come in and dub over a new line.
- Truth in Television: Whether or not it was deliberately inspired by the show, using young-looking police officers undercover as high school students has actually been done. Read about the real-life example of Alex Salinas here.