Trivia: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
- Actor Allusion: This isn't the only time Jay Baruchel plays a character that ends his respective movie by flying away.
- Dawson Casting: The 28-year old Jay Baruchel as the 20-year old Dave.
- Fake American:
- Becky is played by Teresa Palmer, an Australian. Averted with Peyton Roi List, who is American.
- Jay Baruchel is Canadian. Averted with Jake Cherry, who is American.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Hey, Ghost Rider is fighting Doc Ock to prevent him from releasing the Borg Queen!. Interestingly, Ghost Rider uses something akin to magic while Doc Ock uses science... this movie manages to connect them both.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Hey, it's Hiccup. The trope is inverted this time.
- Shown Their Work: As revealed in the behind-the-scenes material, the place where Dave has his secret lab (which is then turned into his apprentice training ground with Balthasar) is an old subway turnaround, and based explicitly (in architecture and design) on the City Hall IRT station.
- What Could Have Been: An earlier draft included an appearance by Chernabog himself in the climactic battle, though he'll be in the sequel if they get the chance.