Trivia: The Purge
- Critical Dissonance: Somewhat subverted. While the film made money, at one point having the highest opening weekend for an original R-rated horror movie, note both audiences and critics were left feeling like they were part of a Bait and Switch, with the mutual opinion that an interesting premise was squandered on a mediocre home invasion movie. However, the next film is regarded as a Surprisingly Improved Sequel.
- Fake American:
- Mary is played by the English Lena Headey.
- Along with Zoey, who's played by the Australian Adelaide Kane.
- The gang leader is played by Australian Rhys Wakefield.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: The gang really should have known better than to mess with the family of Jake Hoyt and Cersei Lannister. (who built an entire career out of being an Action Girl)
- Similarly Named Works: The Finnish drama Puhdistus (2012), about life in Soviet-occupied Estonia, was released as The Purge in the UK, and as Purge in the USA.
- Viral Marketing: The websites for the New Founding Fathers of America and the resistance group Purge The Lies.
- What Could Have Been: The gang was originally supposed to get into the house by tunneling, but this was vetoed by one of the producers as too improbable. This is mentioned in the film by James as one of the possible ways to bypass the security system