Trivia: The Legend of Zelda
Works with their own Trivia pages:
- A Link to the Past
- Ocarina Of Time
- Majora's Mask
- The Wind Waker
- The Minish Cap
- Twilight Princess
- Phantom Hourglass
- Spirit Tracks
- Skyward Sword
Trivia for the franchise in general:
- It was revealed in an interview Miyamoto gave to a French website that Link's appearance was, like Mario before him, influenced by the NES's graphical limitations. Miyamoto wanted Link to be easily recognizable, and able to visibly use his sword and shield. The weapons were thus made big and easily visible, and Link was given his trademark pointy hat and long ears so that he could easily be distinguished from his equipment despite the sprite's small size. The pointy hat and long ears, in turn, reminded Miyamoto and his team of elves, most notably Disney's Peter Pan, hence the decision to color Link's outfit green and make his design more elf-like.
- From the same interview, it was also revealed that Link's name came from an early idea for the series: the Triforce was meant to be a bunch of electronic chips that the hero would collect by travelling between the future and the past. The hero was named "Link" to symbolize the fact that he was the Link between the time periods. Even though the series ended up taking on a totally different approach, the name "Link" stuck ever since.
- Adaptation Sequence: Video games —> Cartoon —> Comic
- Cash Cow Franchise: One of Nintendo's Big Three, along with Mario and Pokémon.
- Fan Nickname:
- Most of the Links have one out of necessity. Usually its an abridgment of their hero titles (fanon or canon) - Wind, Sky, Time, Twilight, etc.
- Most Zelda games from 'Four Swords Adventures (i.e. since 2004) onwards haven't received an official soundtrack, save for a few promotional disks with a handful of tracks each. Thus many music themes have been nicknamed by fans. Stand out examples would be "Midna's Desperate Hour" from Twilight Princess (which was later on officially titled "Midna's Lament"... in Super Smash Bros. Brawl), "Link and Zelda's Duet" from Spirit Tracks and "Romance" from Skyward Sword.
- Killer App: It's guaranteed that a Zelda release will coincide with a massive spike in Nintendo console sales. It (along with Mario) is basically Nintendo's home console equivalent to Pokémon.
- No Export for You:
- Several Zelda manga have yet to be released outside of Japan.
- Tetra's Trackers from the Japanese version of Four Swords Adventures.
- The Satellaview games for the Super Famicom: the first being a remake of Zelda 1 (with different map layouts), and the second being a Timed Mission in the A Link to the Past engine, where your hero (not Link, who is currently stuck on Koholint Island) must collect the 8 stone tablets to seal Ganon again, after his seal weakened.
- The three Tingle Spin-Off games: the first one, Freshly Picked Tingles Rosy Rupeeland, was released only in Japan and Europe; the US version was cancelled under popular demand from an online NOA poll. It has greed as a game mechanic. The latter two, only released in Japan, are a Ballon Fight clone, and a sequel to the first game but with Dating Sim elements, of all things.
- What Could Have Been: Imagi Studios, prior to their closing, release a short for a pitch to Nintendo to produce an animated film based on Zelda in 2007. Obviously, the pitch did not succeed.
Trivia for the animated series:
- Hey, It's That Voice!/ Retroactive Recognition:
This video game series is the Trope Namer for:
- 8.8: Indirectly, because of the score Twilight Princess received in a Gamespot review.
- Americans Hate Tingle
- Dark World: Used in several of the games.
- Death Mountain
- Heart Container
- Hijacked by Ganon
- I Fight for the Strongest Side
- The Lost Woods
- Spin Attack
- Urban Legend of Zelda: More for the pun, but the series does have numerous examples.
- Wall Master
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: Link's catchphrase in the cartoon.
This videogame series provides the page image for:
- In General
- The Legend of Zelda I
- Zelda II The Adventure Of Link
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda Oracle games
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword