Trivia: The Jungle Book
Trivia from The Jungle Book (1967 Animated Adaptation):
- Actor Allusion: King Louie is played by Louis Prima, who's nickname was "The King of the Swing". In King Louie's song, "I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)", he refers to himself as the "King of the Swingers".
- It gets better. He was notorious for many songs extolling his preference for bigger women such as "The Bigger The Figure" (featured in Igor). Now, knowing that, observe his character's reaction to Baloo's disguise.
- There's another one in the sequel. If you pay very close attention during the scenes with the vultures, you'll hear Jess Harnell doing his Ringo Starr impression. Again.
- Author Existence Failure: Walt Disney passed away towards the last leg of the film's production.
- Crossdressing Voices: Averted in both the original English version and many other dubs with Mowgli, but played straight in the Mexican Spanish dub of the first film, albeit this is averted as well in the sequel.
- The Danza: Louis Prima as King Louie.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Has its own page.
- The Other Darrin: For rather obvious reasons, none of the original voice-actors reprise their roles in the sequel. It's most obvious with Shanti, who sounds nothing like she did in the first movie, but it's also notable with Mowgli and Baloo. The other voice actors imitate the original actors with various levels of success.
- Recycled Script: The sequence where Baloo and the monkeys kept taking Mowgli away from each other is a shot-for-shot remake of a similar sequence from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.
- The sequel is frequently criticized for its similar plot to the original film.
- Screwed by the Lawyers: Disney ended up limiting the appearances of King Louie when the widow and family of Louis Prima, the voice of Louie in the original film, sued them over the stunning similarities of Prima's voice when Jim Cummings voiced Louie in TaleSpin. This resulted in Disney writing him out of the sequel, replacing him with an Expy named King Larry in House of Mouse, and have any appearance of him reduced to complete silence.
- What Could Have Been: The Vultures were originally planned to be voiced by The Beatles and sing a rock song, but the band would end up passing on the offer due to busy scheduling. The Beatles-inspired character designs for the Vultures were kept in the finished film, however.
- It was more than that: Walt Disney realized a 60s rock song would date the film too much, and had it changed to a doo-wop song instead. Plus, John Lennon strongly disliked Disney.
- Before that, the film was a closer and much darker adaptation of the book.
- According to Amy Mebberson, one of the animators for Jungle Book 2, there were ideas for a third Jungle Book. One idea was about Baloo and Shere Khan getting captured by hunters and sent a Russian circus, Mowgli and Shanti going after them to save Baloo, and Shere Khan possibly getting over his desire to kill Mowgli through the course of the film.
- Long before The Jungle Book 2, development for a sequel had already been planned in 1968. It was initially pitched as a record story (entitled More Jungle Book) however it was rejected as an animation out of respect for Walt's dislike of sequels. The record featured original tunes provided by Phil Harris and Louis Prima (who reprised their roles as Baloo and Louie respectively), a snippet of which can be found here.
- The actual sequel itself went through several script ideas, one of which involved Baloo trying to save a female bear from some poachers. One contributor mocked the fact that, after all their rewrites, the final was essentially just a rehash of the original.
Trivia from The Jungle Book (1994 live-action movie):
- Hey, It's That Guy!: John Cleese (Dr. Julius Plumford); Sam Neill (Geoffrey Brydon); Lena Headey (Kitty Brydon); Cary Elwes (William Boone)
- Playing Against Type: We don't think anyone, especially those who grew up with The Princess Bride, could have ever imagined Carey Elwes playing such a despicable character.
Trivia from The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story (1998 live-action movie):
Trivia from The Jungle Book (2015 live-action/CGI movie)
- All-Star Cast: Idris Elba as Shere Khan, Lupita Nyong'o as a wolf, Scarlett Johansson as Kaa, Giancarlo Esposito as Akela, Christopher Walken as King Louie, Bill Murray as Baloo and Ben Kingsley as Bagheera.
- Playing Against Type: This is only the second time Idris Elba has played a villainous character, after 2014's No Good Deed.