The 1980 film:
- Casting Gag: Mother and daughter Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis. Also Halloween co-stars Nancy Loomis and Charles Cyphers in addition to Curtis. All three interacted a lot in Halloween but are almost completely separate in this.
- Creator Cameo: John Carpenter plays Father Malone's assistant Bennett at the beginning of the film.
- Production Posse: Three cast members from Halloween return - Jamie Lee Curtis, Charles Cyphers and Nancy Loomis.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Stevie's radio station plays jazz music, because it was more affordable than rock music on such a low budget.
- Romance on the Set: Adrienne Barbeau and John Carpenter were married at the time, the part of Stevie being written especially for Barbeau.
- Real-Life Relative: Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis, mother and daughter.
- What Could Have Been:
- The role of Father Malone was offered to Christopher Lee, but he couldn't make it. A role was also offered to Kurt Russell.
- The original cut of the movie was only 80 minutes. To pad things out for a theatrical release, John Carpenter had several new scenes reshot. Among those includes the opening scene with John Houseman telling the ghost story. It's easy to spot the re-shot scenes, as Elizabeth's hair changes in length.