- Jossed: Fans theorized that one of the other comics on Virus Comix site (about a Russian comic book artist who is working in secret on a 1000 page masterwork, labeled "Based On True Events") may be Rowntree's actual history. However... in actual comments, Rowntree has stated that his mother is from Malmö, he is half-English and he grew up 45 minutes from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
- One of Us: Rowntree said on Facebook that "i love that site", that site being this site.
- Shout-Out: The file namenote of this comic, as well as Ethel's subconscious having a war room, a shirking president, a British captain and an ex-Nazi adviser, as well as the fact that they're all the same person, are all allusions to Dr. Strangelove.
- The Wiki Rule: Yes, there's a wiki for this webcomic. See it here.
- What Could Have Been: The Museum of the Theoretical strip, where she meets herself as a bookish, professorial type in a drab pantsuit.
- Ethel too has been to the Museum of the Theoretical, and met three other Ethels with completely different lives.
- And the Museum appears a third time, this time with the homeless Zoe Muggs meeting a far more successful version of herself.
TV Tropes pages illustrated by Subnormality comics (links to the comics included)
- Adam Westing (comic)
- Flanderization (comic)
- Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act (comic)
- Monster of the Week (comic)
- Periphery Demographic (comic)
- Pragmatic Villainy (comic)
- Railroading (comic)
- Reconstruction (comic)
- Vocal Minority (comic)