- Actor Allusion: "I especially love the shaft!"
- Shaq was notoriously bad at free throws, and so is Steel.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $16 million. Box office, $1,710,972.
- Creator Killer: Where Batman & Robin was the critical and popular bomb that blew DC out of the air, this was the financial bomb that ensured they would stay down. They didn't make another cinematic live-action movie again until 2004 with Catwoman and didn't return to credibility until Batman Begins. Marvel quickly seized on the opportunity to make their mark on Hollywood in that time.
- Genre-Killer: This film almost single-handedly destroyed the superhero movie genre for years to come (it did still destroy it for DC with help from Batman & Robin, which was a box office success but was also instant Snark Bait). Shaquille O'Neal dressed in a rubber costume that's supposed to be metal fighting crime out of a junkyard crime lab. 'Nuff said.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Not Screened for Critics
- Star-Derailing Role: This came after the infamous Kazaam from Touchstone/Disney, and sent Shaq's cinematic career to the sidelines permanently; he only really did cameos in future movies.