- Academy Award: Jeff Bridges' Best Actor nomination represents the only nomination a John Carpenter film ever received.
- Actor Allusion: Bridges stated he based his performance on CLU from TRON, at least before he was captured by the MCP.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Kevin Flynn and Marion Ravenwood, the ultimate '80s nerd Crossover Ship
- Life Imitates Art: GPS is fairly common these days, and heads-up displays for cars are rare yet not unheard of. A GPS heads-up display could be improvised with a smartphone or tablet and a few parts to simulate the map that "Starman" calls up in one scene.
- Playing Against Type: Some people are surprised to know that this was directed by John Carpenter. In a DVD commentary, Carpenter reveals that the main reason he chose Starman was because he really wanted to do something different to revitalize his career, after the box-office failure of The Thing (1982) damaged his reputation in Hollywood.