Trivia: Sonic the Fighters
- No Export for You: The game only received a very limited overseas release prior to its port in Sonic Gems Collection. This changed though after Model2 Collection's re-release on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.
- What Could Have Been: There is a scrapped character called Honey the Cat (an anthropomorphismic version of Honey/Candy from Fighting Vipers) as well as a full playable moveset for Dr. Robotnik that can both be found within the game's code. Also, Sonic the Fighters was originally meant to have a port for the Sega Saturn, but it was scrapped. Oh, and also Rocket Metal Sonic seen in the opening was supposed to be playable.
- This was later changed, as the Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network re-release of the game features Metal Sonic, Dr. Eggman in his mecha-armor, and Honey the Cat as officially playable characters without the need of hacking. However, the other dummied out characters like Rocket Metal Sonic unfortunately remain unplayable.
- There is a hidden song named "Sunset Town," which apparently was supposed to be a stage in the original game, possibly for Honey the Cat. However, there are no models for the scrapped arena.
- This game is the second of two Classic Sonic appearances that Espio the Chameleon makes. His only other appearance was in Knuckles Chaotix. Curiously, the other Chaotix members are completely absent.