* AcclaimedFlop: The movie received an astonishing 72% in Website/RottenTomatoes, but did not make up its budget.
* ActorAllusion: Creator/JudeLaw and Creator/GwynethPaltrow of ''Film/TheTalentedMrRipley''.
* AwesomeDearBoy: ''In spades''. From Creator/JudeLaw getting to work with Creator/LaurenceOlivier [[spoiler:(sort of)]], to him and Creator/GwynethPaltrow signing on ''immediately after watching the demo reel'', to Creator/AngelinaJolie getting to wear an EyepatchOfPower and a goldfish-bowl space helmet.
* BillingDisplacement: A sterling example. Creator/JudeLaw and Creator/GwynethPaltrow are billed diagonally. On ''the same card,'' Jolie gets the "and" honor by being billed as "and Creator/AngelinaJolie". They thus manage a triple simultaneous diagonal bill where everyone gets a position of honor.
* CastingGag: [[spoiler: Totenkopf turns out to have been DeadAllAlong, [[FakeShemp just like his actor]] Sir Creator/LaurenceOlivier, who died 15 years before the movie was made.]]
* CreatorKiller: The film destroyed brothers Kerry (director and writer) and Kevin (production designer) Conran's careers - neither have done anything of note since.
* DoingItForTheArt: The film's creator spent years developing software to achieve a film with ''this specific look,'' and then pitched a film around it.
* FakeNationality: Englishman Creator/JudeLaw plays the American hero, while American Creator/AngelinaJolie plays "Franky". Jolie's accent was mocked by some critics, though she's merely riffing on the stiff-upper-lip jargon of British war propaganda.
* OneWorkWonder: Kerry Conran never directed another feature film, and the box office failure of this one took such a toil that he refuses to discuss the project.