- Absentee Actor: Rachel Griffiths is the only one of the main cast (the ones in the opening credits, at least) to be absent in any episode. She misses four in season 3, because of her pregnancy. Her second pregnancy was written into the show, though.
- The Cast Showoff: Michael C. Hall and Lauren Ambrose are both fantastic classically trained singers and got to show their skills during various Imagine Spots and in David's choir arc.
- Dawson Casting: Lauren Ambrose was 22 when she started playing 17-year-old Claire.
- Executive Meddling: An oddly positive example: During the making of the pilot, the HBO executives commented that the show felt "too safe" and asked Alan Ball (the writer) if he could make it even more fucked up. He gladly complied, after he "picked his jaw off the floor".
- Fake American: Australian Rachel Griffiths as Brenda.
- Fake Russian: Ruth's Russian employer/boyfriend Nikolai was played by Ed O'Ross (real last name: Orosz), a Pittsburgh, PA native of Czechoslovakian descent.
- Trope Namer: For Narm. Beware, major season 5 spoiler in the trope description.
Trivia / Six Feet Under