Trivia: Shigeru Miyamoto
- Big Name Fan: He regrets not having NiGHTS into Dreams... (made by Yuji Naka and Sonic Team) as part of his creative portfolio.
- Creator Backlash: Miyamoto stated in an interview that he considered Zelda II: The Adventure of Link to be his least favorite game he ever made, basically likening it more to a child ripped out of the womb than a game that reached its full potential. His own (translated) words:
"I wouldn't say that I've ever made a bad game, per se, but a game I think we could have done more with was Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. When we're designing games, we have our plan for what we're going to design but in our process it evolves and grows from there. In Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, unfortunately all we ended up creating was what we had originally planned on paper. I think specifically in the case of Zelda II we had a challenge just in terms of what the hardware was capable of doing. So one thing, of course, (that he would have liked the game to been like) is, from a hardware perspective, if we had been able to have the switch between the scenes speed up, if that had been faster, we could have done more with how we used the sidescrolling vs. the overhead [view] and kind of the interchange between the two.note But, because of the limitations on how quickly those scenes changed, we weren't able to. The other thing is it would have been nice to have had bigger enemies in the game, but the Famicom/NES hardware wasn't capable of doing that. Certainly, with hardware nowadays you can do that and we have done that, but of course nowadays creating bigger enemies takes a lot of effort."
- Executive Meddling: He wanted only preexisting characters in Paper Mario: Sticker Star, resulting in a bare-bones plotnote and a lack of partnersnote , which the game was at one point set to return to. Fans were not amused.
- He's actually been simplifying games since The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, which was supposed to be a prequel to Link To The Past until Miyamoto said it distracted from gameplay. His staff called it "upending the tea table".
- Link's Crossbow Training was planned to be a full-fledged game that would be to Twilight Princess what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time... But guess what happened?
- One of Us: As he explained in his visit to Jim Henson Studios, he loved The Muppets as a child and originally considered a career in making puppets.
- Trope Namer: When he compared video games to rock and roll, he named a trope.
- Write What You Know: Gameplay and Story mechanics in his games, specifically Mario and The Legend of Zelda, tends to originate from his childhood and his hobbies.