* AscendedMeme: The [[https://www.reddit.com/r/politics /r/politics]] meme/RunningGag about Donald Trump donating to NAMBLA (created as an "incitement" to get Trump to release his tax returns) was eventually covered by major news outlets such as [[http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/08/many-people-are-saying-donald-trump-donated-to-nambla.html New York Magazine]].
* ColbertBump: If a website is linked in a popular thread or comment, an inadvertent [=DDoS=] can be triggered, taking down the site. This is humorously called the "[[AndCallHimGeorge Reddit hug of death]]".
* DevelopmentGag: Reddit was originally going to be called "Snoo" as in "what's new?". Obviously, this didn't happen, but the little white alien mascot ended up being named Snoo.
** Reddit's management have tried to distance themselves from violentacrez as much as possible since the /r/creepshots debacle, despite giving him a "pimp hat" award in the past.
** Everything related to the Redditbomb - it's taken years for Reddit to shake off most of its 'haven for pedophile libertarian molesters', and it still has that reputation among a chunk of the populace.
** The reddit community as a whole isn't too proud of the Boston Bomber Witchhunt, in which the community tried to determine the bomber's identity and accused an innocent person, who was later found dead (believed to be for unrelated reasons, but the Internet campaign definitely wasn't helping his grieving family). It's often brought up as a cautionary tale whenever it looks like reddit's gearing up for another round of playing Internet Detective.
* WordOfGod: [=IamA=]s featuring media creators, which usually require the celebrity confirming the [=IamA=] with a photograph greeting Reddit or some other method.
* TheWikiRule: Trusted users can write on the [[http://www.reddit.com/r/modnews/comments/th1zo/moderators_new_feature_preview_integrated_wiki/ Integrated wiki]].
** [[http://reddit.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wikipedia_of_Reddit This Joke wiki]]
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: [[http://web.archive.org/web/20161208214855/http://www.businessinsider.com/google-tried-to-acquire-reddit-in-2005-2016-11 Google attempted to acquire Reddit]] back in the site's early days in 2005. According to [[https://www.reddit.com/user/kn0thing u/kn0thing]]: "We weren't big enough to justify a YouTube-style acquisition, where you do your own thing and have your own little world to operate. We were two dudes in an apartment: Do we want to become Google employees? As amazing as those perks were in 2005 - Google was the place to work - it wasn't something we wanted to do quite yet."