Trivia: Rain Man
- AFIS 100 Years 100 Cheers: #63
- Dueling Movies - With Twins.
- Method Acting: Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of Raymond changed so much over the course of making the film that by the time the second half was filmed, they had to re-film the first half because Hoffman's portrayal had improved so much. Hoffman worked with Kim Peek for a while to try and understand him. Hoffman later suggested they let Kim interact with the public more via forums as he saw a big improvement with his social skills after only a few days of interacting with a stranger. Kim (with his father and caretaker) started doing conventions and because of this movie he was in high demand and very popular.
- What Could Have Been: Among other people envisioned for the role of Raymond: Bill Murray! Just try to wrap your head around that.
- Steven Spielberg was supposed to direct, but he had to drop out due to his commitment to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He gave the notes he had made in preparation to Barry Levinson.
- Raymond was also originally written as a higher-functioning, extroverted autistic man. It was Hoffman who suggested making the character a more severe, introverted autistic, and they ran with it.
- Write What You Know: Writer Barry Marrow based Raymond on a real life Autistic man he met. He admits that he took the man away from the institute and took him on a road trip.