Trivia: Quake I
- Did You Just Telefrag Shub Niggurath? One boss is a huge Eldritch Abomination called Chthon and is impervious to bullets, but can be killed with lightning note .
- Hey, It's That Sound!: The "get key" sound effect is identical to the one from GoldenEye (1997).
- Pop-Star Composer: Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails composed the score for Quake. The game includes a nail gun weapon with ammo packs featuring the band's NIN logo.
- Promoted Fanboy: id hired some of the best level makers to their team (most notably American McGee), and several of the creators of the various Game Mods or tournament winners below have gone on to jobs in the industry. Additionally, part of the reason Trent Reznor was hired to do the music is because he was such a huge fan of Doom.
- What Could Have Been: The game began its development as a large, free-roaming Role-Playing Game, starring a titular barbarian hero who would bash his way through his enemies with an enormous, Mjolnir-like hammer. (Which was brought back for Scourge of Armagon, though it wasn't developed by id) However, this idea (and eventually the whole RPG setting) was scrapped, and instead, they switched to a more Doom-like FPS direction while keeping the original level design, just like id's previous FPS boomfests.