- Actor Allusion: Kyle MacLachlan is playing another Cloudcuckoolander authority figure in the Pacific Northwest. At one point he asks for a "conspiracy" video to be made about him to stir up controversy involving supernatural elements and a hint of some wacky things going on with the trajectory of time.
- Copiously Credited Creator: Invoked in-universe in the "Blunderbuss" episode. Indie filmmakers The Warnicker Brothers credit themselves as everything from directors to key grips to executive producers on their movie Finding Mr. Write, only acknowledging any work by others with a brief post-credit roll note:
The Warnicker Bros would like to thank everyone involved on the film.
- The Danza: Fred and Carrie, of course. Also there's Ebbe and Kristine, the seedy couple from seasons 5 and 6 played by Ebbe Roe Smith note and Kristine Levine.
- Directed by Cast Member: Season 7 had two episodes directed by Carrie Brownstein and one by Fred Armisen.
- Troubled Production: "Brunch Special" depicts the filming of the season 2 finale "Brunch Village" as this. Director Jonathan Krisel is portrayed as a Perfectionist who holds up production for several months waiting for marionberries to come into season so they'll be fresh for the pancakes in the restaurant scene.
- You Look Familiar: Fred and Carrie and other actors play multiple characters. The former often encounter the same people, implying that they all exist in a shared world full of Freds and Carries.
- This is confirmed in the season two finale, where among other things one set body surfs across a line containing another set.
- Even some of higher-profile guest stars get in on this. Steve Buscemi and Jeff Goldblum have appeared more than once, as (presumably) different characters.
- Many of the local Portland actors who play supporting roles have also appeared in multiple episodes.