Trivia for Gold, Silver, and Crystal:
- Cowboy Bebop at His Computer: For months prior to the official release of the game promotional materials referred to the pokémon Marill as "Pikablu" likely due to its mouse-like appearance and... well, the fact that it was blue. Marrill was never officially referred to by this name at any point, not even during the planning stages. Despite this the misnaming was so prevalent that even Topps used it in the Pokemon The First Movie Trading Cards.
- God Never Said That: Marill is very frequently treated as a Pikaclone by the fandom. While the parallels are there, Game Freak has never officially promoted Marill's line in that capacity, and the association is a leftover from the old "Pikablu" rumors.
- Fan Nickname: Silver (the Rival, not the game) is sometimes jokingly referred to as ???.
- Serendipity Writes the Plot:
- The limited space of Game Boy Color cartridges is more than likely the reason that many buildings and dungeons in Kanto have been scaled down or became inaccessible due to various plot reasons in Kanto. For example, Cinnabar Island erupted, Fuchsia City & Cerulean City's shared music was replaced with that of Celadon City and Viridian City, respectively, and most of Silph Co. isn't open to the public.
- Some of these elements were brought back in the remakes. The music issues are solved for both the aforementioned towns. Other locations (e.g. Routes 24 and 25, Cinnabar Island, and Viridian Forest) become their own areas once again, Cerulean Cave returns, and the Seafoam Islands are changed from having a single room to a fully fledged Gym. Some buildings that were closed in the original games are now open again and offer new services: the Pewter Museum can revive fossils, and the former Safari Zone complex in Fuschia City is re-opened as the Pal Park.
- What Could Have Been:
- Working Title: Pocket Monsters 2: Gold and Silver for Gold and Silver Versions; Pokémon X for Crystal Version.
Trivia for HeartGold and SoulSilver:
- What Could Have Been: An unused PokéGear icon that resembles Kris can be found in the data, implying she might have been considered to appear in some capacity at one point.