- Big Name Fan: Jon Fishman (and probably the band as a whole) is a fan of Cattle Decapitation and has been spotted attending their shows in Burlington, and the band as a whole performed with Cattle Decapitation in disguise as Garbage Dick, a "just for fun" one-off performance art project while Cattle was on tour.
- Black Sheep Hit: "Heavy Things"
- Fan Community Nicknames: Originally fans were called "Glides" (which in turn inspired the title of the song "Glide") and then later "Phans" or "Phish Heads".
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Partially because of the uniqueness of each Phish concert, the band allows and actively encourages fans to tape the band's concerts, so long as the resultant recording is not sold for profit (non monetary trades of recordings/copies of recordings is often the way that most tapes circulated).
- Name's the Same: While Phish toured North America extensively, former Marillion singer Fish toured Europe extensively. Made yet more confusing by the fact that both artists appeals to the Progressive Rock fandom, although their styles are quite different.
- No Hit Wonder: A large, loyal fan following despite never hitting the mainstream charts.