Trivia: Pearl Jam
- Creator Backlash: While he doesn't hate the music on the album, Vedder has said that Vs. was his least favorite record to work on, and that he finds it difficult to revisit without bad memories coming up.
- Creator Breakdown: Vitalogy is a dark album, with frequent allusions to suicide ("Last Exit", "Immortality"), written in response to the pressures of stardom and the death of Kurt Cobain (though Eddie Vedder has repeatedly denied that "Immortality" is about the latter subject). A milder example is Binaural, written in the aftermath of Eddie's divorce from his first wife, with him suffering from writer's block and Mike from an addiction to prescription drugs. Riot Act has some for both their backlash against George W. Bush and an incident in the 2000 Roskilde Festival where nine fans were trampled to death during PJ's show.
- Executive Meddling:
- A failed instance in the band refusing to make a video for "Black", considering it too personal, and later on again for "Better Man".
- Successfully seen in the Ticketmaster debacle.
- Flip Flop of God / Ascended Fanon: Go ahead and ask what the meaning of "Alive" is. Go ahead, we'll wait.
- Lying Creator: Vedder used to claim that the band's name comes from his great-grandmother Pearl's home-made jam, but later admitted that that's untrue. Some fans assume that it's a reference to semen, but Vedder's later explanation is much less interesting: they came up with "Pearl" apropos of nothing and then added "Jam" to it after watching Neil Young play a long jam set.