Trivia: Patch Adams
- Dawson Casting: Patch Adams, who was 24 when this movie takes place, was played by 46-year-old Robin Williams.
- Disowned Adaptation: The real Patch Adams himself was dissatisfied with the film, saying that it is more commercial and focuses more on him being funny than his actual methods note . He was also annoyed that Robin Williams did not bother to donate any of his salary to his institute, although he did not dislike Williams and applauded his support for St. Jude Children's Hospital.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Of all people, Carin's brother at her funeral is played by Greg Sestero, who later played Mark in The Room.
- Alan Tudyk (best known as Wash from Firefly) appears briefly as a mental patient.
- Patch's doctor at the mental hospital is Harry Groener, the Mayor on Season Three of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.