- Actor Allusion: In Series 4, there's a scene where Pete is flicking through TV channels and is disappointed at finding nothing but panel games. There are also references to Frankie Boyle and his stand-up act. Hugh Dennis worked with Boyle on the panel gameshow Mock the Week for several years.
- Author Existence Failure: David Ryall (Granddad) passed away in December 2014, meaning that if there are any more specials he won't be in them.
- Fake American: Both Brick and Taylor Jean are obviously doing fake accents.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- The annoying anti-speedbump campaigner is also known as Neil's ambiguously gay dad and an ambiguously gay MP. Similarly, Ben's form tutor is David Troughton, son of the Second Doctor's actor Patrick Troughton.
- Also the vicar in the fourth series is John Sessions.
- Norris from the 2012 Christmas special is Jim from "Friday Night Dinners", and Ray is TV comedian Sanjeev Bhaskar.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Harry Shearer (aka Principal Skinner, Mr Burns, Mr Smithers and countless other voices in Springfield) tries to Skype Sue's office in Series 5.
- Throw It In: With much of the kids' dialogue (and the adults' reactions) improvised, it could've been called Throw It In: The Series. Even with the children growing up there is a degree of improvisation.