* ActorAllusion: In chapter 56, Tomoko gets to school late after she catches an episode of ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic'' on TV and gets drawn in. ("Who the hell schedules a cartoon like that in such an early time slot? Even elementary schoolers couldn't watch that without missing school!") The show isn't named, but Tomoko's TV shows an image of Rainbow Dash -- who is voiced in the dub by Tomoko's actress, Izumi Kitta.
** Tomoko's character design was originally meant to be [[HugeSchoolGirl taller]], with smaller sanpaku eyes, however, the publisher asked for a cuter design. Arguably a positive example, since making Tomoko scrawnier and with oversized eyes ended up complimenting her characterization by making her look sickly and stunted
** Yuu-chan wasn't originally a part of the manga, however the publishers thought it was too depressing for Tomoko to have no friends. Again, this was arguably a positive example, as Yuu has turned into a character foil who amplifies Tomoko's social maladjustment
** /v/'s nickname for Tomoko is "Spaghetti-tan", because of their meme about spaghetti leaking out of their pockets during socially awkward situations, seemingly for no other reason than to make the situation even more awkward and embarrassing for them. Turns into an AscendedMeme when, as a thank-you to foreign audiences, Tanigawa drew a picture of Tomoko actually eating spaghetti.
** World Three, the primary scanlation group for the series, affectionately gave the manga the project title "loser girl."
** "Slut-chan" for Yuu, because, in Tomoko's eyes, girls more socially adept than she is are "bitches" or "sluts".
** Yoshida's unnamed friend is "Heroin-chan" because of her relatively large eyes and eye bags
** "Komi-something" for Kotomi Komiyama after Tomoko's ignorance to properly saying her name.
** Ucchi is usually referred to as "Emoji", due to her simple but expressive face.
** Asuka Katou was referred to as "Makeup-chan" for the longest time due her penchant of applying makeup on Tomoko, and because it took a while for the manga to even attach a name to her face.
* NoExportForYou: The OVA, which had limited release[[note]]It came as a bundle with the first edition of Volume 7 of the manga[[/note]], has yet to be officially localized anywhere outside Japan.
* PortmanteauSeriesNickname: The title is often contracted to ''[=WataMote=]''.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: According to the Japanese Wikipedia at least, the authors originally planned Tomoko not to have a single friend. The editor found this premise too depressing and asked the authors to introduce a friend for Tomoko, which is why [[OnlyFriend Yuu]] was created. Also, Tomoko's design (see Executive Meddling).
* TheWikiRule: [[http://watamote.wikia.com/wiki/WataMote_Wiki Here]].
* WriteWhoYouKnow: The series is based on the authors' own experiences, so much so that one of them decided not to have Tomoko be bullied because it would have made the whole thing too personal.