- All-Star Cast: Surprisingly, for such a low-budget film.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: 2 is widely associated with his famous catch phrase "This is smashing!" which was never put in the film, but on a couple of old trailers and an obscure B-roll.
- BFG: The old artillery gun uses shells larger than the sackdolls themselves.
- BFS: 8's got two; a carving knife and half of a pair of scissors (they're big to him).
- Doing It for the Art: Just look at those visuals...
- Fan Nickname:
- "Mr. Fab," the Fabrication Machine. An alternate to this is "Fab Mac"
- Petrie for the pterodactyl monster.
- 1 is, of course, the Sack Pope. He is also known by Pope Doll and 1Pimp. Now there is this ridiciously addictive song for Pope Doll. Pope Dooooooolllllll! He enters the rooooooooooooom . . .
- Now with '''face melting guitar intro!''' "He's got a cape, he's got a staff, he's got a great big BODYGUARD!"
- On certain DeviantArt communities, 5 is known as "Angst waffle".
- He's also sometimes refered to as Pyro5 and "Gerbil Butt".
- 9 is also commonly referred to as 9Noob. For obvious reasons...
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Basically it's a parade of this trope. Frodo wakes up in a post-apocalyptic city, argues with the Wasteland Elder Captain Von Trapp, becomes bff with Amos Hart (Chicago), tussles with Jubair Al-Hakim, and flirts with Sarah Williams. other notable voices are Prometheus (The Scientist), The Knave of Hearts (6), and Bela Lugosi (2).
- Meaningful Release Date: The movie came out on September 9, 2009 (9/9/09).
- Trope Namer
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response
- Go Back to the Source
- Stitchpunk: A subgenre of Steampunk. "Fiction influenced by the DIY and crafts element of Steampunk, with a prime example being Shane Acker's 9, in which cute Frankenstein doll-creatures stitched together from bits of burlap sack try to save the world. In a wider context, Stitchpunk emphasizes the role of weavers, tinkers, and darners in Steampunk." Termed by Acker and outlined as such officially in The Steampunk Bible (page 55). More details and examples may be found here.
- Viral Marketing: Little bit. One of the most interesting ones was a random online-clip that showed Elijah Wood getting his soul sucked out while in the theater.
- The Facebook account "9 Scientist" (still up, surprisingly) is the Scientist's online diary. It tells readers of the man's struggles with creating the B.R.A.I.N device, and of his misgivings with the Chancellor. Not necessary to enjoy the movie, but it furthers your appreciation and understanding.
- What Could Have Been: Looking at the deleted scenes, the key around 6's neck would have been more important to the plot, with 8 playing keep away with it, and the survivors using it at the end to open a box the scientist was holding. Inside is a mirror, and a note labelled "hope" as the survivors look at their reflections.
Musical and Live-Action Film
- All-Star Cast: The movie stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, PenÚlope Cruz, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Sophia Loren, Kate Hudson and... Stacy Ferguson of the Black Eyed Peas (aka Fergie). The first six are Oscar winners, the seventh a nominee. Didn't stop most critics from panning it.