Trivia: Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
- Creator Backlash: Even those who made the game would likely wish it from existence.
- Dummied Out: Quite a lot apparently but the most glaring ommission is Sonya. Not only is she not a playable character as originally planned but her absence is never explained.
- Executive Meddling: The team making the Special Forces intended for it to released at a later date, but Midway Games rushed them to complete it.
- Recycled Script: A more literal example in that the storyline of this game is basically a recycling of the backstory that was going to be used for Tremor in Mortal Kombat 3. Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias revealed in an interview that "I do remember having big plans for Tremor, but when I conceived him, he wasn't a member of the Black Dragon. He was a Lin Kuei hired as muscle by a mad man who was trying to open a gateway between Earth and Outworld." In Special Forces, in addition to the aforementioned changed of making him a Black Dragon member the mad man he would be working for would be Kano.
- What Could Have Been: Sonya was set to appear in this game◊ as a part of Jax's team (under the code name of "Panther").
- Tobias had planned on doing several other platform spinoffs with the intention of expanding the mythos of the series, two specific ones he had hoped to create would be centered on Liu Kang and Kung Lao and another with Baraka as its protagonist. Though following the poor reception of Special Forces, all other endeavors with the exception of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance were placed on hiatus with former project not being realized until 2005's Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.