- Acting for Two: Besides the title role, Martin Lawrence plays a ridiculous amount of recurring characters.
- Actor Allusion:
- In the first two seasons, Martin always kept a framed poster of Do the Right Thing in his living room. It was one of Lawrence's first film roles and he played Cee.
- When Christopher "Kid" Reid of Kid n Play and House Party fame guest starred, Sheneneh begs him to kiss her "like the way he did with that light-skinned girl in House Party," referring to Tisha Campbell, of course.
- Marla Gibbs once guest starred as a new housekeeper. Her sassy attitude was similar to her character on The Jeffersons, and when she first appeared at Martin and Gina's door, the couple said "You got the wrong apartment; you probably want 227" (another sitcom she starred in) and "You'll have to move on up" (or something along those lines).
- Big Name Fan: The late Stuart Scott of ESPN compared to Rich Eisen's Seinfeld.
- The Cast Showoff: Both Tisha Campbell and Tichina Arnold demonstrate their singing voices in a few episodes.
- The Danza:
- Martin is played by Martin Lawrence.
- Tommy, played by Thomas Mikal Ford.
- Those Two Actors: Gina (Tisha Campbell-Martin) and Pam (Tichina Arnold) were two of the background singers for Little Shop of Horrors. They later reunited in the fourth season of Everybody Hates Chris as neighbors.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Because of the backstage tensions between Martin Lawrence and Tisha Campbell (the actress who played Gina), a lot of the later season episodes were written so that Martin and Gina don't appear in any scenes together.
- Romance on the Set: Averted. Lawrence wanted this with his co-star, but Campbell felt quite differently, leading to the tensions mentioned above. It has also been said that there was tension due to her new husband at the time, Duane Martin, being jealous of Lawrence and Campbell on the set and not liking him (he also wanted to be on the show but Lawrence said no). None of the other cast members supported her allegations, though. It does seem like something was going on between them at some point, though. She is very close to him at 2:55 of that clip.
- Word of Saint Paul: Thomas Mikal Ford later revealed that Tommy works in the National African American Tobacco Prevention Network.
- Real-Life Relative: Christine is played by George Romero's future wife Christine. Also a case of The Danza.