Trivia: Mahou Sensei Negima!
Info on Pactio Cards and other assorted character stuff has been moved to the new Info page here.
- Misa Kakizaki's light-brown-turned-violet-hair was the only case in the series of an Adaptation Dye-Job getting it right. Akamatsu originally intended her hair to be that colour, but wasn't able to portray it with the tankobon's limited colour palette.
- Negi's pactio card number is 496, which is the sum of the numbers 1 through 31. It is also the third perfect number (it is equal to the sum of its factors).
- Kurt Gödel was an Austrian-American mathmetician and philosopher. Similarly, "Jack Rakan" is really "Jacques Lacan," with the spelling mangled by round-trip translation.
- Chigusa Amagasaki, Big Bad of the Kyoto arc is named after one of Akamatsu's assistants.
- As is the case with Keiichi Yamashita, the "3D-jujitsu" practitioner from the Mahora Budokai who Evangeline handily defeated.
- The Kiyo-mizu temple seen in chapter 29 is a real temple in Kyoto which is famous for having a mixture of Buddhistic and Shintoistic styles. From the drawings it is very clear that Akamatsu has been there as the drawings are faithful to the real temple and its surroundings.
- Many of the Web sites in the series are completely fictional, and several others are Bland-Name Product versions of real sites (e.g. 2channel). The domain of these sites is www.ailove.net, Ken Akamatsu's personal site. However, several real sites have been featured at their actual URLs. For instance, Chisame used the Perseus Digital Library in Chapter 121 to look up information on mages.
- Adaptation Overdosed: Negima!, Negima!?, Negima Neo, Negima!!, and assorted OVAs. Thanks to the constant Continuity Reboots, nothing but the OVAs have covered more than a small fraction of the manga.
- Adaptation Sequence: This Manga —> alternative retelling OVA —> alternative retelling anime —> alternative retelling Manga (which outlasted the anime its based on).
- Cash Cow Franchise: With all the spin-offs and merchandise, this series is definitely heading this way.
- The manga was one of the only in western history to outsell Naruto.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Rina Satou in the Japanese version.
- Dawson Casting: Most people in the Live Action Adaptation seem far from their supposed age.
- Doing It for the Art: The tankobon extras reveal just how much effort Akamatsu-sensei and his team put into this manga.
- Schedule Slip:
- "Negima will be taking a break next week" "Negima will be taking a break next week" "Shonen Magazine (which Negima is in) will not be sold next week" "Negima will be taking a break next week" Repeat ad infinitum.
- The scanlations can be even worse given that the translators are unpaid, and tend to be students with exams and suchlike.
- Torch the Franchise and Run: The series' rather abrupt ending is the result of Akamatsu dropping the series in protest against his publisher's attempt to take ownership and copyright of the series away from him.
- What Could Have Been: The Nightmare Circus subplot was planned during the Mahorafest but due to the already extensive plot-line it was scrapped.