- Actor Allusion:
- Acclaimed Flop: Ratings were incredibly low but it was critically acclaimed and had a legion of very loyal fans. Loyal enough to convince executives to produce a Post-Script Season, and eventually for the show to return in comic book form.
- California Doubling: Filmed in California but set in Kansas.
- Disabled Character, Disabled Actor: Shoshannah Stern, who plays deaf farmgirl Bonnie Richmond, is deaf in real life (though she can speak, unlike her character).
- Playing Against Type: Beth Grant usually plays mean or uptight old ladies. Here she plays Gracie, the kind and motherly supermarket manager.
- What Could Have Been:
- The original plan for the series was that the first part of the story would've focused Jericho, Kansas. Then the story would've shifted to Cheyenne, Wyoming for the second part. Finally that last part of the story would taken place in New York City. If the series would've lasted long enough, it would've dealt with the Second American Civil War.
- An initial tie-in would have webisodes dealing with other survivors of the nuclear attacks, that would dovetail into the main series as the season progressed. This idea was abandoned after the second episode - and they were replaced with prequel webisodes dealing with the events before the attack.