* ActorAllusion: In the movie, a bluesy version of "Down To The River To Pray" from ''Film/OBrotherWhereArtThou'' is heard after we're introduced to the "counselor", who was a member of ''O Brother'''s PowerTrio.
* AuthorExistenceFailure: Scott Plank died in a car crash in October 2002, making ''Holes'' his final film.
* CaliforniaDoubling: The film was shot entirely in California, even the scenes that were set in Texas.
* InMemoriam: The film is dedicated to Scott Plank (Trout Walker's actor).
* PermanentPlaceholder: When Louis Sachar was writing the book, he used Stanley [[SdrawkcabName Yelnats]] as a filler name, planning to replace it later with a more normal name. He never did, and the weird name even ended up becoming a plot point.
* SchoolStudyMedia: A popular book among elementary school teachers because its ContinuityPorn makes for a good lesson in paying attention to details.
* SelfAdaptation: Louis Sachar's draft of ''Holes'' almost wasn't used, but ultimately retained, and skewed far closer to the book than the other optioned draft with minimal edits.
* SoMyKidsCanWatch: Creator/SigourneyWeaver's daughter begged her to play the Warden.
** [[Film/DonnieDarko Richard Kelly]] was offered the chance to do this movie. He was replaced when they saw his screenplay, which was set in a post-apocalyptic CrapsackWorld. It had ''nothing'' to do with the book. [[spoiler: Just to describe the tip of the iceberg, one of the major changes was that Stanley's crime was [[MercyKill Mercy Killing]] his plague-infected sister instead of stealing a pair of shoes. And instead of a bandit's stash of money, the "buried treasure" that Stanley found was going to be a long-lost Weapon of Mass Destruction.]]
** Kissin' Kate's signature KissOfDeath was originally going to be to wear lipstick made from rattlesnake venom. This was later changed to be the Warden's nail polish.
** Shia [=LaBeouf=] was originally supposed to [[DyeingForYourArt put on weight]] to match Stanley's overweight build from the novel. However, this idea was shot down by the director, who pointed out that to gain and lose that much weight in a short span of time would be dangerous for someone of [=LaBeouf's=] age at the time ([[TheMoreYouKnow weight fluctuation, in general, is a considerable heath risk]]).