- Actor Allusion: Death, voiced by Ian Richardson, borrows the catchphrase of Richardson's best-known character, the devious protagonist of House of Cards:
Death: You might very well think that [...] but I couldn't possibly comment.
- Billing Displacement: David Jason, in the supporting role of Albert, gets top billing.
- Creator Cameo: The toy-maker at the end of the movie is Terry Pratchett.
- Doing It for the Art: Spent three hours on a movie just so it was almost word-for-word like the book. And the casting director has definitely earned their paycheck.
- Throw It In!: Marc Warren's take on Teatime, which was inspired by Johnny Depp's take on Willy Wonka. In an interview, Warren instead decided to use Depp's Wonka voice because, well, he'd just come back from seeing it at the cinema with kids.