- Cash Cow Franchise: Higurashi has become one of these, with the ever increasing fanbase in both Japan and the States, the manga, the anime and its OVAs, the drama CDs, and the overdose of merchandise.
- The Danza: Miyuki Sorimachi, whose name is taken from her voice actress, Miyuki Sawashiro.
- Dawson Casting: For the live action movie (what movie?) none of the school aged characters look under 17.
- Fan Nickname
- Kuraudo Ooishi to "Detective Delicious" for his name's similarity to oishii ("delicious").
- Mion and Shion Sonozaki to a collective "Shmion" for being Creepy Twins and pulling off Twin Switches, including a permanent one when they were little.
- Shion's other nick name is "That psycho Yandere chick who tortures everyone".
- Miyo Takano to "Droopy-tan" for her perpetually stoned appearance.
- Keiichi Maebara to "K1" for the kanji of his name, which contains the number 1.
- Rena Ryuuguu to "Cleaver Girl" for her iconic Weapon of Choice.
- There's a small group of fans who refer to Tomitake as Tommy Tucker as the pronunciation sounds similar to the Little Tommy Tucker nursery rhyme.
- Kyousuke Irie is sometimes known as "Pedodoctor", for his general played-for-laughs Lolicon attitude.
- Hey, It's That Voice!:
Keiichi: "Rika-chan, to us men, terms like "Fate" and "Destiny" hold quite a special meaning."
- Keiichi is the Dark Hero, and he's bashing his buddies brains in. Alternately, he's Kira Yamato, who decided to move to the countryside for some peace and quiet.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Geneon licensed and had the thing dubbed (with Bang Zoom!). When Geneon stopped its DVD operations, it had only released a couple volumes of Higurashi before they partnered with FUNimation to finish their releases. When Geneon's license expired, so did FUNimation's. The show sold decently, but not enough for FUNimation to dub or release any further seasons.
- There is hope though. Sentai Filmworks recently rescued Rozen Maiden (which FUNimation also distributed for Geneon), and had the English dub finished with the original Bang Zoom! voice cast. Since Rozen's fate was nearly identical to Higurashi's, there is speculation that Higurashi may be rescued afterall.
- Sentai also recently rescued The Familiar of Zero, and it will be released on DVD, with no dub. That's gonna be more hope for Higurashi.
- No Export for You: The DS and PS2 games (and thus all the original arcs in them) never made it out of Japan.
- The Red Stapler: The town Hinamizawa is based off had to make a new wall in their shrine because fans put too many things on theirs.
- Shout-Out: Rena's Weapon of Choice makes an appearance in Disgaea Dimension 2. The series (possibly Umineko as well) gets referenced in the episode 7 preview.
- Talking to Himself: Satsuki Yukino voices both the Sonozaki twins in the original Japanese, and Megan Hollingshead does the same for the English dub of the anime.
- Trope Pantheon: Keiichi's in the House of Leadership, Rena's in the House of Emotion, Mion and Shion are in the House of Mentalism, Satoko's in the House of Craft, and Rika's in the House of Personality.
- What Could Have Been: The sound novels were originally supposed to be one long game, but they decided to break it up and go with an arc system.
- Word of Dante: The events of the fanmade Higurashi Daybreak have literally ascended to canon.
Poems by Frederica Bernkastel (MangaGamer Translation):
- Don't be sad.
The world may not forgive you, but I forgive you.Don't be sad.
You may not forgive the world, but I forgive you.Tell me.
What must I do to earn your forgiveness?
- I can't satisfy you.
Because what you want is the truth.I can't satisfy you.
Because the truth you want doesn't exist.But I still want to satisfy you.
Because it's all my fault.
- The frog in the well was happy.
Because he wasn't interested in the outside world.The frog in the well was happy.
Because he didn't have anything to do with the outside world.And you were happy, too.
Because you didn't know what happened outside the well.
- Who's the suspect?
The story is about finding that out, right?Who's the suspect?
Do you know what the suspect did in the first place?Who's the suspect?
Who's the suspect that's going to kill me?
- She dropped her beads in the sand. So the girl cried.
For one hundred years, she searched the sands.They might be in the ocean, not in the sand. So the girl cried.
For one hundred years, she searched to ocean.They might be in the mountains, not the ocean. So the girl cried.
How many years will pass before the girl wonders if she really dropped them?
- The first time, I would try harder to avoid
the inevitable tragedy.The second time, I would be disgusted by
the inevitable tragedy.The third time, my disgust would turn to anguish.
The seventh time, I'd be laughing by then.
- I wanted to know what's outside the well.
So I tried to claw my way up from there.I wanted to know what's outside the well.
So I continued to climb even when I fell and injured myself.I finally realize.
The higher I climb, the more pain I feel when I fall.When my curiosity toward the world and my pain became equal...
I finally understood the meaning of the frog in the well.
- Please tell me what happened this night.
This is like a box with a cat inside.Please tell me what happened this night.
I don't even know if the cat is alive or dead inside the box.Please tell me what happened this night.
The cat in the box is dead.
- What's outside the well?
Is it worth fighting for?What's outside the well?
Is it worth getting hurt for?What's outside the well?
I'm going to fight and get hurt to find out.I'm sure what's waiting is a beautiful world.
Even if I get to the bottom of the well again.The key to the new world is my willingness to get out of here.
Even if I get out or not,
I will eventually get to the new world...
- Everyone is entitled to happiness.
The difficult part is accepting that.Everyone is entitled to happiness.
The difficult part is fulfilling that.I, too, am entitled to happiness.
The difficult part is working out a compromise.
- Because from now on,
I'm going to live a much, much happier life.I'm not going to compromise with just this.
We'll retrieve all the happiness we missed.100 years worth for me.
1000 years worth for you.
Poems by Frederica Bernkastel (Yen Press Manga Translation):
- Please don't be sad.
Even if the world doesn't forgive you, I will forgive you.Please don't be sad.
Even if you don't forgive the world, I will forgive you.So please tell me.
What should I do so that you'll forgive me?
- Do you know wherein lies the sin?
It wasn't in partaking of the fruit of the tree.Do you know wherein lies the sin?
It wasn't lending an ear to the serpent's enticements.Do you still not know wherein lies the sin?
Therein lies your sin.
- I cannot quench your thirst.
Because you who want the truth will not acknowledge it.I cannot quench your thirst.
Because the truth you hope for doesn't exist.Even so, I want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one who left you in the desert.
- I was the most unhappy.
Because I knew that this maze had no exit.He was the next most unhappy.
Because he didn't know that this maze had no exit.The other masses weren't unhappy.
Because they didn't even know that they were in a maze.
- What is it that I seek?
Perhaps a knight from a far-off land.What is it that I seek?
Perhaps a bank to help me crawl out of the eternal swamp.I seek but one thing: will I gain a timely rescue, or a time of death.
- Who is the culprit you ask?
Obviously the point of this story is to find that outWho is the suspect, you ask?
Do you even know what crime is?Who is the culprit?
Who is the culprit who will kill me!?
- "I dropped her beads in the sand", the girl cried.
The girl searched the desert for a hundred years."Maybe I didn't drop them in the desert, but in the ocean", the girl wept.
The girl searched the seafloor for a hundred years."Maybe I didn't drop them in the ocean, but in the mountains", the girl wept.
How many years will it be before the girl questions whether she really dropped them at all?
- The first time,I think to myself, Well it's only this once.
The tragedy I couldn't avoid.The second time, I am shocked that it happened again.
The tragedy I couldn't avoid.The third time, it goes beyond shock to agony.
Once it reaches seven, it starts to become a comedy
- I wished to know the world outside the well.
So I crawled up from the bottom of the well.I wished to know the world outside the well.
So I climbed on, no matter how many times I slipped and fell hard on my back.But I realized.
The more I climb, the farther I fall, and the more it hurts.When my interest in the outside world matched the pain in my whole body.
I finally understood the words of the Frog Prince.
- Please tell me what happened on this night.
If I must describe it, I'd have to say it's like a box with a cat tucked inside.Please tell me what happened on this night.
As long as it's possible, no one knows if the cat in the box is alive or dead.Please tell me what happened on this night.
The cat in the box was dead.
- What kind of world waits outside the well?
Is it worth the suffering that I must pay to find out?What kind of world waits outside the well?
Is it alluring enough to risk falling again and again to get there?What kind of world waits outside the well?
I will try to find out and enjoy the pain of my falls.After all of that, it's sure to be a wonderful world..
Even if it turns out to be the bottom of the well.The resolve to see the world outside of the well is the key to a new world.
Whether I escape the well or not,
I know I'll make it to a new world...
- Everyone has the right to live in happiness.
The hard part is accepting it.Everyone has the right to live in happiness.
The hard part is acting on it.Even I have the right to live in happiness.
The hard part is the compromise.