- Creative Differences: Yoshiyuki Tomino and Mamoru Nagano famously clashed in both their best known collaborations, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Heavy Metal L-Gaim. Tomino, who was heavily depressed at the time, tended to create a bleak, sombre works filled with angst and suffering, while Nagano, while not without an occasional GRIMDARK moment of his own, nevertheless wished for less dark storytelling and, being infamously possessive of his works, a bigger creative control. Things were hot enough that Nagano ended up starting his own L-Gaim, and Tomino made him one of the prototypes for the main Zeta villain, Paptimus Scirocco.
- Fan Nickname: Due to its resemblance to L-Gaim, a white Gundam from Mamoru Nagano's Newtype Magazine MSV series is nicknamed Heavy Metal L-Gundam.
- Name's the Same / Fan Nickname - There are two Humongous Mecha in the series named "Auge"; fans often refer to Poseidal's Ace Custom as "Original Auge" to distinguish between the two.
- Not to mention that at least half the mechs have ones named after them in The Five Star Stories, including yet another two Auges (Auge Arusqul and Original Auge's counterpart, Machine Messiah Auge). Usually, different romanizations are used to differentiate them. L-Gaim's A-TAUL vs. A-toll from FSS, Bat-Shu the Blue Knight vs. Vatshu the Black Knight, etc.
- Gavulet Gabulae shares a name with a Xabungle character, but what's odd is that he's not the same gender as Miss Gabulae.
- Talking to Herself: Both of Maria Kawamura's characters (Lilith and Leccee) have this in episode 18.
- Troubled Production: Although not so severe like their infamous feud in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino and Nagano also clashed in this series, too. Nagano routinely hated Tomino's style and the direction where he was taking the show, up to the point that Nagano's The Five Star Stories basically started as his Start My Own towards L Gaim.
Trivia / Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Trivia page for Heavy Metal L-Gaim: