* ActorAllusion: Creator/JoePantoliano doing the voice of an Italian club owner/pimp? [[Film/RiskyBusiness Who knew?]]
* BannedInChina: This game was often banned in Malaysia during Muhammad Idris' ruling against the whole series.
* DamnYouMuscleMemory: Retroactively applied to those who play later 3D-era GTA games before III; in particular, the fact that the camera view is limited compared to later games when it comes to looking up and down, which can cause issues for players used to a more dynamic range of camera movement when driving or walking around Liberty City.
** A character named Darkel was scheduled to appear in the game, before being removed. He would have given Claude a number of missions that would have involved committing acts of terrorism. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't cut because of 9/11, but some time prior because he [[BizarroEpisode didn't fit with the rest of the game]]. However, pictures of Darkel can still be found on the GTA III website, his voice actor (Bill Fiore) is still credited in the manual, and his missions were either deleted, converted into Rampages, or given by other bosses (El Burro's mission "I Scream, You Scream" being the most notable example).
** Another character named Curtly is credited in the manual for the game, although nothing else is known about him apart from his intended voice actor (the late Curtis L. [=McClarin=]).
* FanNickname: Due to being ordered around for the entire game, before his real name was revealed, Claude was referred to as "Fido". Also, Maria refers to Claude as "Fido" when he is ordered by Salvatore Leone to be her driver.
* KillerApp: For the UsefulNotes/PlayStation2. Granted, the console had achieved the rare feat of utterly dominating the console market from the very day it was released, but this was the first game to truly show off the system's capabilities, and cemented it as the system to beat.
* TheShelfOfMovieLanguishment: It was delayed for a bit while some editing was done due to 9/11.
* ShrugOfGod: [[spoiler:Did Claude shoot Maria?]] "No one knows for sure what happened there" is the official line.
* TooSoon: After 9/11, Rockstar North changed the paint jobs on the police cars so that they didn't resemble those of the [[UsefulNotes/NewYorkCityCops NYPD]]. Some pedestrian dialogue was also changed and one mission that mentioned terrorism was removed. There was insufficient time between the disaster and publication for extensive alterations.
* UrbanLegendOfZelda: Some fans are completely sure that Claude was originally concieved as a speaking protagonist, because of a leftover sound from GTA 2 appearing in a trailer for the game. Rockstar denies that Claude was ever supposed to speak, though.
** There were a ton of rumors about what content had been cut after 9/11, including a persistent one that Donald Love's last mission would have involved crashing a plane into a building, despite WordOfGod saying that there were never plans for large aircraft.
** Another one was the Maibatsu Monstrosity being driveable.
** And that Fernando Martinez was hidden somewhere in the game and had missions for you.
* UnintentionalPeriodPiece: Inevitably, with the game taking place in October 2001.
** Claude uses a pager (and in some cases, a pay phone box) rather than a cell phone to communicate. On Chatterbox, a MoralGuardians group leader against cell phones calls in to talk about how difficult it is to communicate without them. Both of these elements have been dated past TheNewTens with many more people owning cell phones, and even more so by the fact almost every game in the series uses cell phones rather than pagers.
** Liberty City's portrayal as TheBigRottenApple before [[UsefulNotes/TheWarOnTerror the War on Terror and 9/11]]. Even though the game was held back a month to [[TooSoon try remove content that would look offensive after 9/11]], very little had been done to change that.