Trivia: Godzilla vs. Hedorah
- God Never Said That:
- For a long time, it has been rumored that due the the very psychedelic nature of this film, Tomoyuki Tanaka (The producer of Godzilla), made a promise that Banno would NEVER direct another Godzilla film for the rest of his life. In this interview however (at the 10:16 mark), Banno specified that while Tanaka's words weren't THAT harsh, he did mention that Tanaka didn't like how Godzilla's character was changed to appeal to children. Additionally, Godzilla's infamous flying scene was NOT hated by Tanaka at all, and was even approved by Tanaka's agent. Banno took liberties in case Tanaka didn't like it and even said that with proper editing, the scene could easily be removed.
- Banno also addressed the idea of a sequel to the film in which Godzilla would have fought a 2nd Hedorah that appears in Africa. Banno later revealed that that story was just a fling and that he had intended to make a Hedorah spin-off rather than include Godzilla in it.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: For a while, the only DVD release for this movie from Sony Entertainment was out of print. Fortunately, to coincide with the release of the 2014 remake of the original Gojira, Kraken Releasing have re-released Hedorah and two other Showa Godzilla movies on Blu-Ray and DVD.
- What Could Have Been:
- A sequel idea before that was originally planned to have Godzilla fight a new Hedorah - this was even alluded to at the end of the film with "And Yet Another One?"
- An IMAX 3D remake of Godzilla vs. Hedorah was in its planning stages around 2004, around the time in which Godzilla Final Wars. The project however was too short (around 60 minutes total) and was rejected by Hollywood. However after Banno pitched uping the runtime to 2 hours, after Legendary Pictures was put on the project, the idea eventually morphed into Godzilla (2014)!
- To coincide with the above interview, Banno has pitched a Hedorah 2 idea involving Hedorah destroying all of the Earth's rainforests and thus would go up against a Sentient Monster composed of Algae and has big eyes named "Midora"
- Unintentional Period Piece: Godzilla in the land of 60s style hippies. It's in the clothing, the music and attitudes of the partying teenagers.