Trivia: God Of War Series
aka: God Of War
- Accidentally Accurate: While a lot of the formal elements are naturally different from Greek mythology, the game is nonetheless very close in spirit to it. Ancient Greeks did believe that pretty much everyone was a Jerkass, be it gods or humans, and their mythology was filled to the bri with tales of revenge or gods punishing those who stepped beyond their rank. Moreover early versions of Greek Mythology established that the universe had been subject to an endless cycle of violende, each new species violently overthrowning their predecessors'hegemony, like the Olympian gods exterminating the Titans, the humans would have exterminated the gods themselves if Zeus hadn't been ever vigilant for any rebel. In a way that the developers didn't expect to, they practically invented a typical mythologic story.
- Actor Allusion: The voice actor playing Perseus is Harry Hamlin, who of course was Perseus in Clash of the Titans. The game character even sports the same costume and, when first met, has dialog that seems to indicate he's come straight from the movie. Sadly, since he's meeting Kratos, it appears poor Andromeda will be eaten by the Kraken after all... but Kratos kills that, too.
- Carole Ruggier, who plays the character of Athena in the first two games, also plays Athena in the Age of Mythology RTS.
- Kevin Sorbo shows up in God of War 3. Take a guess as to who he voices.
- Corey Burton voices Zeus in the God of War 2 and 3, a role he also plays in Hercules.
- In the Japanese version, (and also overlaps with Relationship Voice Actor), Kratos, Hera and Aphrodite's voice actors already worked together in an anime series who also involves the Greek Mythology.
- I Knew It:
- The Titans' betrayal.
- How Kratos "defeats" Aphrodite. Not to mention the fact that Aphrodite would be the...ahem..."opponent" for the sex minigame.
- Many fans guessed that the grave digger from the original game was Zeus. The revelation in Ghost of Sparta is quite anticlimatic: you just have to select this character in arena mode, or see his name in the credits.
- What Could Have Been: In the third game, they planned for Aphrodite to draw a dagger in the middle of the sex mini-game and try to stab Kratos, forcing you to win a Quick Time Event to survive, but changed their minds.
- This interview, (content starts 10 minutes in) reveals an alternate story for God of War 3. Zeus would have been killed at the beginning of the game and the gods from Egyptian Mythology and Norse Mythology would fight the Olympians and Titans for control over the world. The game would end with all the gods dead, Kratos killing himself to reunite with his family and The Three Wise Men following the Star of David.
- The Three Wise Men following the Star of David was hinted in the second game. It appears as one of the pictures in the Sequel Hook room.