Trivia / Flashdance
- AFI's 100 Years… 100 Songs:
- #55, "Flashdance. . .What A Feeling"
- Stillborn Franchise: Paramount held dancer auditions for a proposed sequel to this film. That film was never made.
- Throw It In: The sweatshirt Jennifer Beals wanted to wear shrank in the wash, so she had to cut out the collar in order to put it on, even though it would keep slipping off her shoulder. This ended up creating a fashion craze for off-the-shoulder sweatshirts and T-shirts through the mid-80s, and which unexpectedly came back into fashion beginning around 2009.
- What Could Have Been:
- The director's chair was originally offered to Brian De Palma. DePalma accepted, but a few weeks into pre-production, he left the film to direct Scarface1983 and was replaced by Adrian Lyne. David Cronenberg was also offered the job.
- The role of Nick was offered to Gene Simmons, who declined it rather than compromise his onstage persona. (The post-1996 Gene would probably rethink it.)
- Kevin Costner was the runner-up for the role of Nick. Pierce Brosnan, Robert De Niro, Richard Gere, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci and John Travolta were also considered. Burt Reynolds was offered the role, but declined due to scheduling conflicts.
- Jamie Lee Curtis, Janice Dickinson, Bo Derek, Bridget Fonda, Melanie Griffith, Daryl Hannah, Mariel Hemingway, Helen Hunt, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Heather Locklear, Andie MacDowell, Demi Moore, Kathy Najimy, Tatum O'Neal, Michelle Pfeiffer and Leslie Wing were all considered for Alex Owens.
were considered for the role of Alex.
- One for the soundtrack, "Maniac" was originally a song made in tribute of the horror film Maniac before being reworked for this film.
- Phil Collins turned down the opportunity to write a song for the film.
- Bob Geldof was offered a role in the film.