- AFI's 100 Years... Series:
- Dawson Casting: Alex states her age as 36, but Glenn Close was 40 during filming.
- Enforced Method Acting: Adrian Lyne got Ellen's tearful reaction upon watching her parents argue by bullying the actress and threatening to take away her stuffed animal (that's why she's clutching it). Once the scene was complete, he assured her he was only kidding.
- Playing Against Type: Up to this point in her career, Glenn Close had played warm, fuzzy, earth-mother women and gotten nominated for Oscars three times. This was a radical change—so radical, in fact, that she got stuck playing similar characters for a while.
- Retroactive Recognition: Little Ellen is Ruby Sue Johnson, with shorter hair.
- In addition, she's also The Danza.
- Revised Ending: Famously so (see below).
- What Could Have Been: The original ending (which is shown in the Japanese version) had Alex commit suicide to make it look like Dan did it and Dan getting arrested for Alex's "murder." Dan's wife then finds Alex's note on tape that reveals the whole thing was a suicide and goes to the police about it.
- Isabella Adjani, Beverly D Angelo, Rosanna Arquette, Christine Baranski, Ellen Barkin, Kim Basinger, Jennifer Beals, Candice Bergen, Kate Capshaw, Stockard Channing, Cher, Jamie Lee Curtis, Geena Davis, Alison Doody, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Faye Dunaway, Christine Ebersole, Morgan Fairchild, Mia Farrow, Farrah Fawcett, Sally Field, Carrie Fisher, Jodie Foster, Jennifer Grey, Melanie Griffith, Mary Gross, Linda Hamilton, Daryl Hannah, Goldie Hawn, Barbara Hershey, Holly Hunter, Anjelica Huston, Amy Irving, Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kay Lenz, Heather Locklear, Madonna, Creator/KellyMcGillis, Bette Midler, Demi Moore, Olivia Newton John, Catherine O'Hara, Lena Olin, Annette O Toole, Michelle Pfeiffer, Annie Potts, Gilda Radner, Miranda Richardson, Diana Ross, Isabella Rossellini, Susan Sarandon, Jane Seymour, Ally Sheedy, Cybill Shepherd, Helen Slater, Sissy Spacek, Mary Steenburgen, Sharon Stone (!), Meryl Streep, Emma Thompson, Kathleen Turner, Tracey Ullman, Sigourney Weaver, Raquel Welch, Tuesday Weld, and Debra Winger were all considered for the role of Alex Forrest.
- Dan Aykroyd, James Belushi, Nicolas Cage, Chevy Chase, Kevin Costner, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, John Heard, Kevin Kline, Steve Martin, Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Dennis Quaid, Christopher Reeve, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Martin Sheen, Sylvester Stallone, John Travolta,Jon Voight, Bruce Willis, and OJ Simpson were all considered for the role of Dan Gallagher.
- Creator/AndieMacDowell and Cynthia Rhodes were considered for the role of Beth Gallagher.
- John Carpenter and Brian De Palma were offered the chance to direct but both backed out because they feared that the story was too similar to Play Misty for Me. De Palma also felt that Michael Douglas was not a good leading man, but has since admitted he was wrong about Douglas. Carpenter also turned it down because he felt the audience would not accept the originally scripted, downbeat ending. John Boorman was also offered the director's job but turned it down to do his personal wartime childhood memoir Hope And Glory.
- Working Title: Diversion.
Trivia / Fatal Attraction
This page is for the film.