Trivia: Boston Legal
- Actor Allusion:
Alan: They call them cling-ons.Denny: Did you say Klingons!?
- There's quite a few jabs at William Shatner's iconic Captain Kirk role, such as when Denny is given a cellphone by one of his many girlfriends and it makes the Star Trek communicator beeping sound whenever he flips it open.
- Also, when describing a parasitic water bug,
- The third season episode "Son of the Defender" used footage from the 1950's Defender TV movie featuring Shatner to present Denny as a young attorney clashing with his father. It was surprisingly emotional.
- In one episode, Valerie Bertinelli appeared as a guest character, and her appearance was heralded with the theme from One Day At A Time, the show that made her a star.
- Actor-Shared Background: Denny Crane's larger-than-life persona, and his anxieties about being washed-up. One could argue that Shatner fits that bill and in many ways Denny is a reflection of himself. Especially Denny doing Priceline commercials. David E Kelley mentioned wanting William Shatner for the role precisely because he would fit perfectly and was willing to poke fun at himself.
- Fake American: Canadian William Shatner as staunch, gun-loving Denny Crane.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Nicknamed the "science fiction retirement home" for featuring Captain Kirk, Odo (who clearly prefers working with Sisko), Daniel Jackson, SAL 9000 and Seven of Nine among others.
- Taken even further in a third season episode with Odo and Quark, who are described as "old friends," arguing with each other.
- Zhora appeared as Beverly Bridge, Denny's girlfriend and eventual (for about half an hour) seventh wife.
- Guest starring Neelix. And the voice of Leela, if you're in to that kind of thing.
- Looks like Murphy Brown has a successful legal career after broadcasting.
- Now Gina Torres (Zoe on Firefly) has appeared too.
- I Am Not Spock: For a lot of people, this show was responsible for William Shatner not just being Captain Kirk. In fact inverted, now people make Denny Crane jokes about old Star Trek episodes.
- You Might Remember Me from...: Candice Bergen's earlier claim to fame was on the long-running sitcom Murphy Brown.
- And Christian Clemenson played sidekick to Bruce Campbell as another lawyer, Socrates Poole, in The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr..