* [[TheCharacterDiedWithHim The Character Died With Her]]: Colleen Dewhurst, who played Marilla in the 1985 version, died during the production of the TV series. Marilla was then killed off in the series too.
* OrphanedReference: Some productions of the musical, particularly high school productions, will replace "The Words" with a different song ("When I Say My Say," meant to give more time for a wig swap for the green-hair scene) but will leave its reprise intact.
!!The 1934 film:
* NamesTheSame: Invoked. Actress Dawn O'Day changed her name to Anne Shirley after playing the character.
** Mitzi Green was cast as Anne but was later dropped when her StageMom demanded more money.
** Creator/KatharineHepburn longed to play Anne and was always disappointed that she never got to. Her grand niece Schuyler Grant got to play Diana in the 1985 version.
!!The 1985 version:
* ActorSharedBackground: Colleen Dewhurst grew up on Prince Edward Island, just like her character Marilla.
* FakeNationality: Schuyler Grant is American, playing the Prince Edward Island native Diana.
* RealLifeRelative: The orphanage director is played by Megan Fellows's mother.
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: Katharine Hepburn was offered the role of Marilla, but she turned it down.