The NBC Series
- Actor Allusion: In one of the show's Christmas Episodes, the choir is bickering over which song to sing for a competition. When someone suggests "Mary's Boy Child", Rolly scoffs at the idea, claiming. "I never cared for that one." That's odd, seeing as how Jester Hairston, Rolly's portrayer, WROTE THE SONG. Later in the episode, he sings it during the competition.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Helmsley’s character might just as well have been named Deacon George Jefferson — their personalities are virtually identical. Also, Rollie’s wife is Mother Winslow.
- Jester Hairston and Clifton Davis starred in That's My Mama, a 70's sitcom that took place in the latter's barbershop in Washington, D.C.
- Halle Berry played a love interest of Ernie's in a fifth-season episode.
- Cuba Gooding, Jr appeared as a 19-year old handyman with a crush on Thelma.
- Lawanda Page, aka Sanford and Son' s Aunt Esther, turned up in the final season as the insufferable Darla.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: No plans to be released on DVD. However, reruns can be seen daily on Encore Black.
The German/French Film
- Fake Nationality: For a film set partly in the Vatican, there are remarkably few Italians among the cast. Count Fontana and The Pope are played by Romanian actors, and Father Riccardo Fontana is portrayed by Mathieu Kassovitz, a French actor of Hungarian-Jewish descent.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mathieu Kassovitz is most likely best recognised for his role as Nino in Amélie.