Trivia for the comic:
- Executive Meddling: Ideas show up here from a 1998 pitch made by Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, and Mark Millar years ago for a bold revamp of Superman (the execs ultimately went for a more conservative revamp.) Naturally, Waid's Superman: Birthright and Millar's Superman: Red Son also borrow some from this pool of inspiration.
- Shrug of God: When asked about the book's continuity with All Star Batman, Morrison is vague and indifferent about it. According to him, the continuity is possible since Batman takes place during the start of the Dark Knight's career while Superman was at the near-end of the Man of Steel's life.
- What Could Have Been...: Morrison toyed with the idea that Leo Quintum was an avatar of Lightray of the New Gods before deciding to simply make him a Canon Foreigner.
Trivia for the film:
- Actor Allusion / Casting Gag: Ed Asner plays Perry White. It wouldn't be the first time he played a sour, crusty newsman.
- Author Existence Failure: Barely. This movie came out 1 day after writer Dwayne Mc Duffie's death, and said death was 1 day after his birthday.
- Completely Different Title: Goes by Superman and the Sun Expedition in Hungary.
- Executive Meddling: The film was shortened to a pre-set 85 minute time frame, according to DC Animated policy.
- Role Reprisal: In the French dub, three of the voice actors reprised their roles from previous adaptations: