“What is it?” Torian replied, watching Tiger with a worried expression. Not too worried though, since her flaming crown had disappeared the moment she had doubled over in pain.
“The enemy temple! It's on fire!” the voice shouted.
“Huh?” He involuntarily looked down, and then kept looking, his eyes growing wider and wider. Something underneath the waves was burning bright enough to make them shine like the setting sun. “I- I can see that.” He looked up at Tiger, his expression begging for an explanation. “What are they burning?”
“Yes, you already told me that!”
“You don't understand! The stone is on fire! Underwater!”
Torian blinked. So did most of the youma.
“By all the dark gods, it just crashed and now the sand is burning too! Look at it!” another warlock shouted in the background.
“I think even the water is on fire,” the first one muttered in a voice that bordered on religious rapture.
“Don't be silly,” Tiger interrupted. “The water is too busy exploding to be on fire!”
“I... I stand corrected.”
- Mister Cynical's Lycanthrope series on fanfiction.net (loosely based on Neon Genesis Evangelion) is notorious for this, to the point where the characters in the series actually come to expect it. One notable example is where Shinji is supposed to kill a member of Seele in Paris. Instead of simply shooting him, he decides to blow up the building he's in, along with many others (including the Eiffel Tower). The end result is that Paris is filled with flaming debris which just happens to form a giant smiley face a mile and a half wide.
Shinji: Now those Frenchies have a smile they can be proud of!
- Also, Finishing The Fight (found on the Halo Fanfic Recs page), in which much care is taken to describe the effects when "modern" UNSC weaponry is used on Dungeons & Dragons baddies..
- GDI has stationed twenty ion cannon emplacements - each of which mounts six dreadnought-grade ion cannons - outside the Charon Mass Relay. That's a lot of "NEEM."
- Garrus. Need to question some criminals? Knock down the wall of their warehouse with a cargo hauler and shoot them all in the knees. Turns out they're not the ones who have what he needs to know? Knock down the next warehouse's wall with a cargo hauler and kneecap the men inside. Need to question a mercenary boss? Blow up his car with a tank.
- Apparently, Admiral Nick "Havoc" Parker is known for this - according to Shepard, orbital bombardment is his first resort. The prospect of him and Garrus being in the same room is terrifying.
- XCOM: Second Contact has X-COM's battle with the Turian patrol at Relay 314. The Turians have one cruiser and five frigates. X-COM brings 400 fighters, 12 cruisers, and 2 dreadnoughts.
- In a crossover RPG (Fanon or Canon), Ancient Equivalents have invaded a faction on the level of the Ori (Tech, not power), and they have A LOT of drones (SG Fans Look Them Up), the defending forces just fired 'Vortex Beams' (Derived From Vortex Generation off of B5 Jumpgates) from the their ships, there were to many vortexes (700) that went critical resulting in the loss of a planet, two moons, 125 Ancient ships and 700 defensive forces. The vortexes merged and created a anomaly about 3 LS across :( Let's just say the person controlling the Ancients is not happy that they lost 1/3 or their fleet in the blink of an eye. The defending faction has something called a Planetary Defensive Grid well, you figure it out...
- Hinata's Singularity Rasengan atomizes every cell in Madara's body and has the same fundamental effect on his chakra.
- From Gods Of This New World: "Meanwhile, L had been in a harrier jet overhead… He readied a missile to be fired, and unleashed fiery hell on Mello."
- In chapter 15 of Ace Combat: The Equestrian War, Flare Star reported (having witnessed it firsthand) that Blueberry was beaten to semi consciousness by four griffins before one of them ripped the wings off her body... Even after she hit the ground, her killer still smashed her spine to make sure she won't get up again.
- From Strawhat Theater 2: Our Mrs Monkey: Absalom kidnaps and tries to forcibly marry Nami who's married to Luffy. Luffy uses Gear Second to punch him through several walls. And when Absalom turns invisible, Luffy uses Gear Third to punch the entire room through the rest of the castle.
- The Witty Phantom's plan to defeat Stan in their rematch in Yu-Gi-Oh! The Thousand Year Door Redux is basically this. He summons Dice Reaper and uses his own Deckamster ability to make in unkillable by card effects. He then uses the Dice Reaper's effect to rig his dice rolls by basically getting to choose what number he would roll instead of actually rolling dice. By using Take a Chance's effect to multiply his life points by five by rolling a six, the Phantom goes from 6,500 to 795,000. But the overkill part is the Phantom summoning Ancient Sacred Wyvern, whom gain Attack Points equal to the difference in Life Points if its controller has more than his opponent, resulting in a monster is 780,500 Attack. It fails due to Stan's facedown, Magic Cylender.
- Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon is not afraid of using this.
Mercury: You threw a fucking train.
Moon: I wanted to be thorough.
- In The Jaded Eyes Series when it's Harry's turn to fight the orcs during the Triwizard Tournament. The task is just to "use any means to retrieve the gold pieces" and Harry does just that... by slaughtering them all and picking their corpses.