Theatre: The Underpants
The Underpants is the most recent adaptation of the 1910 German farce Die Hose by playwright Carl Sternheim. The adaptation was written by Steve Martin. It was produced at New York City's Off-Broadway theater Classic Stage Company from April 4, 2002 through April 28, 2002.
Tropes featured include:
- Ambiguously Jewish - Invoked by Cohen, who's pretending not to be Jewish (its early 20th century Germany, so...)
- "That's Cohen with a K"
- Caught with Your Pants Down
- Dirty Old Woman - Gertrude
- Panty Shot - the impetus for the main action. Before the play begins, Louise' underpants fall off while she standing on a bench trying to see the king.
- Shiksa Goddess - Louise to Cohen